Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Post a pic of you, updated  (Read 28180 times)

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
Post a pic of you, updated
« Reply #225 on: January 17, 2009, 03:12:03 am »
As some of you know I have been building my own house - which has cut down on my free time recently.  I have attached a couple of photos so you can see the progress - we are nearly there -- though the place is a complete tip what with builders, joiners, and small children all adding to the chaos

1. My front door.  No doubt an Amazonian tribe is now homeless due to my desire for an exotic, non swelling hardwood for this -- but it does look nice  :)

2. The kitchen - with the remote controled electric window (I know - A toy!) but it is too high to reach

3. The coin room .. I mean ... my office

Malcolm

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #226 on: January 17, 2009, 08:17:00 am »

Malcolm, That cannot be an office - too clean!! Now here is a real office!!

Wish I had your building skills - beautiful home!!

Thanks for  sharing

c.rhodes

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #227 on: January 17, 2009, 01:25:45 pm »
That really is a wonderful mess Charles ! :D -- These things have to grow and develop organically so I'm hoping in a few years time my wife will have forgotton about the room and nature will have taken it's course  :)

The white row of books is a nice leather bound "Gibbons - The history of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire" which I have actually read rather than have just for show.  I assume I win a prize for that?  :)

Malcolm

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #228 on: January 17, 2009, 06:40:48 pm »
My workroom looks exactly like Charles' room, but only when my wife has cleared it up ;D

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #229 on: January 17, 2009, 08:29:53 pm »

My wife doesn't like coming into my office. Claims our insurance doesn't cover any kind of disaster that might take  place in which she might be injured!  And I consider to be clean!

c.rhodes

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #230 on: January 17, 2009, 08:53:54 pm »
I used to have an office, but not now.  It was converted into a palyroom for the kids!  Oh well, I do have more piece of mind now that they aren't going to be breaking my stuff...  Bacchus, that is a great house!

Best, Noah

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #231 on: January 17, 2009, 09:22:42 pm »
Yes, Malcolm has made himself a great house and home.  We'll see how tidy his office is two years, say, from now.  But I won't have my friend Gordian-Guy take the cake for bad housekeeping.  Think: I have no wife/husband or room mate, and I grew up, first, in an art school.  I shall attach reduced images.  These pictures were taken more than a year ago, and it is appalling how little has changed, nothing for the neater.  At no time is a guest invited to look behind the tall black shelves (Greek & Roman Art, other than vase-painting or coinage).  I have 1500 sq. feet of living space, and a photo taken in any direction in four of the six rooms tells the same story: all of life is an office and/or a studio.  The front room (3rd photo) shows a nominal dining table devoted to producing the Macrinus pages and, in the distance, distinguished by an orange cloth, the laptop work station.
Pat L.
These are my true portraits.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #232 on: January 17, 2009, 11:23:13 pm »
Well Pat they say that artistic people's brains are wired differently and my wife reminds me of it every time she walks into my office.  We just see the world in an abstract way, it's how we work and are creative.  I know I find it very difficult to work on things in a sterile enviornment.  Not that it's dirty, it's just not orderly...

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #233 on: January 18, 2009, 07:21:01 pm »

Pat,

I see that we use our scanners for the same purpose - horizontal surfaces for other things!!

c.rhodes

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #234 on: January 19, 2009, 02:35:50 am »
Ah, that is my great old HP 6100C, which is SCSI connection, so had to be replaced with one that is, I think, Firewire, an excellent scanner, but not for coins.  I cannot find anyone to take it!  In the image above, beyond my computer monitor, are my present scanner (used too much to accumulate a lot) and a laser printer.  Giving up the 6100C was what forced me to take photos of every single coin that came in.  Pat

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #235 on: February 17, 2009, 06:45:46 pm »
OK, time for a bizarre one for you. This is me on a trip to the Roman city of Caerleon (Isca) which has several interesting elements for those interested in Roman history. The main excavated areas are the Barracks, the Amphitheatre and the Baths. The museum is also well worth a visit.

If it would be of interest then I will add a gallery of the images from my trip to Caerleon to my gallery.

This photo is in the baths after my kids persuaded me to try on the replica gladiator helmet.

Regards,
Martin

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #236 on: February 17, 2009, 08:59:27 pm »
In a similar vein to Martin.... Me at a recent tourney:

Evan

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #237 on: March 06, 2009, 12:19:41 pm »
At the recent Wakefield Coin Fair. The first has me "behind the counter" with Manzikert with his back to the camera in the foreground.

The second shows Mauseus behind the counter with me.

Lee

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #238 on: March 06, 2009, 01:10:07 pm »
Thanks to forum to allow us to meet people sharing the same hobby and enthusiasm, that we would never had met without it

Potator

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #239 on: March 06, 2009, 08:43:42 pm »
So glad to see Manzikert up and about.  Also, you have updated, in effect, a York (as I recall) picture of you two in the old Post a Pic of You threadPat L.

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #240 on: March 07, 2009, 03:03:59 am »
Pat

Yes, you are correct. It was York and Adrianus was also in the old picture, I think. We don't get to see as much of him as we used to as he has moved away from the area.

Manzikert is indeed up and about and looking very well now.

Best wishes

Lee

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #241 on: March 13, 2009, 04:30:24 pm »
My wife and I on the Palatine Hill in Rome, February 2009. We are standing close to the site of the Temple of Elagabalus at the foot of the Palatine near the Via Sacra with the Colosseum behind us.
The other photo is of me at the numismatic gallery of the Museo Nazionale Romano in the basement of the Palazzo Massimo close to the Piazza della Repubblica and Termini Station. I am standing in front of a display of early Republican era aes gravae, of which they have an extraordinary collection. Also February, 2009.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2009, 09:49:11 pm »
It seems that the camera automatically exposed for the very bright background, and so you used Lighten or Brighten to make yourself and the lovely Shannon less like silhouettes.
I'd have done this by e-mail, if your e-mail weren't hidden.
Doesn't this look more like you, your coat, and your wife?  The one of you in front of bright coin cabinets is more difficult.
Please excuse.
Pat L.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #243 on: March 13, 2009, 10:06:52 pm »
Here's a try at the second photo. Yes, difficult.
PeteB
Edit: More tinkering.
Edit: even more.

Offline commodus

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #244 on: March 13, 2009, 10:19:00 pm »
Thanks, y'all! Yes, very difficult -- I had already worked with the photos before posting them
I am learning photography all over again with the digital camera (although I took neither of these photos, obviously, since I am in them both!).
With years of experience I had become very adept with the 35mm and the Rollicord by the time digital came along -- especially with my trusty workhorse Pentax K1000 that I used to take EVERYWHERE -- but digital has made me lazy. The camera is so small and light that it has freed me from the burden of lugging around my burdensome equipment and a bag full of rolls of film plus a plethora of lenses, filters, and flashes. Not to mention the fact that film is less and less available, even 35mm  >:( I realize, of course, that I could upgrade within the digital world but I am disinclined to bother, espeically since the money can go elsewhere -- like coins -- and since I've already invested it once and hate to be forced to do so again.
Still, I am getting better with the digital if I do say so myself -- many of my digital shots turn out fabulously, like the one below!
-- Eric

Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #245 on: March 14, 2009, 12:21:26 am »
Well, even on the less 'advanced' digital cameras that Pete (Akropolis, and that is great work he did with your image) has and that I had till I got my present D80 Nikon, tell your friend (and yes, the same goes for most of the buildings, too) that on even the generic one made in China sold at X-mart for $89.00, you can partially depress the Take button while pointing at what matters in a given picture, and where that is is what it will focus on and expose for, then frame the picture for composition and depress the Take button fully: then the image you took comes up for a moment in your little monitor.  Both of the images that Pete and I just couldn't resist helping with had been taken by just framing, then Take.  Your camera reacts particularly badly to that Brownie Hawkeye method.
As for post-processing, if you can't get Photoshop at academic price, then get Photoshop Elements (hey, Doug Smith manages with it!  I find the real McCoy easier to use) either one from Adobe.  Alternatively, if you have a PC you can use Picasa, free from Google, and if you have a Mac you can get Graphic Convertor, wonderful but not easy even in the English-language edition, from Lemke, and inexpensive.  Just look what Pete and I could do even by downloading pre-bleached images by post-processing.
Pat

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #246 on: March 26, 2009, 10:34:42 am »
no coin motif but a happy pic from Vancouver
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #247 on: March 27, 2009, 03:31:11 am »
Was it for New Year's?  Handsome family.  Pat L.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #248 on: March 30, 2009, 04:22:17 pm »
I've already posted a pic of me a few pages back but here is one I had to share.  My 93 year old grandmother!  She's heading back to Italy soon and I'll be joining her in August.  We've had some nice weather here in Toronto so I took the car out for the first drive of the season...The last one is my wife and I at the base of the Palatine hill in front of the arch of Titus (the classic hold the camera and take a shot of both of you picture!)

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #249 on: March 30, 2009, 10:30:34 pm »
Beautiful!  That is what digital cameras are all about.  But your grandmother is fabulous.  There is a wonderful new bel canto soprano from Sicily.  I love Sicily, except a couple of unhappy feeling towns that are mafiose, but that is not confined to Sicily.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity