Coins and Antiquities Consignment Shop
  10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 5 July!!! All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Please Call Us If You Have Questions 252-646-1958 Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 5 July!!! All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Internet Challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!!

×Catalog Main Menu
Fine Coins Showcase

Antiquities Showcase
New & Reduced


Show Empty Categories
Shop Search
Shopping Cart
My FORVM
Contact Us
About Forum
Shopping at Forum
Our Guarantee
Payment Options
Shipping Options & Fees
Privacy & Security
Forum Staff
Selling Your Coins
Identifying Your Coin
FAQs
zoom.asp
   View Categories
Home ▸ Catalog ▸ |Antiquities| ▸ |Antiquities by Material| ▸ |Pottery Antiquities||View Options:  |  |  | 

Ancient Pottery
Cypriot Bichrome Ware Amphora, Iron Age, c. 1100 - 750 B.C.

|Pottery| |Antiquities|, |Cypriot| |Bichrome| |Ware| |Amphora,| |Iron| |Age,| |c.| |1100| |-| |750| |B.C.|NEW
The referenced amphora in the British Museum, dated Early Iron Age, 1100 - 750 B.C., is very similar to this amphora. The most significant difference is only the concentric circle motifs are on the neck, vice shoulder. The geometric patterns on this amphora are also found on earlier Mycenaean pottery.
AP23892. cf. Corpus Vasorum Antiquorum, BR. MUS. II C., pl. 2, 1, choice, complete and intact, scattered mineral deposits, rim warped, 26cm (approx. 10 1/4 inches) tall, c. 1100/900 - 750/500 B.C.; fired terracotta, flat base, ovoid body, broad neck, everted mouth, a pair of stirrup handles, pale buff slip with decoration in dull brown, ladder pattern on flat rim, encircling bands of varying width on neck and body, 4 concentric circle motifs on shoulder, one wavy band encircling body, base and handles brown; ex prominent NY Collector DK; $2500.00 SALE PRICE $2250.00


Canaanite, Cypriot Imitative Lentoid Terracotta Pilgrim Flask, Late Bronze Age - Early Iron Age, c. 1400 - 1100 B.C.

|Holy| |Land| |Antiquities|, |Canaanite,| |Cypriot| |Imitative| |Lentoid| |Terracotta| |Pilgrim| |Flask,| |Late| |Bronze| |Age| |-| |Early| |Iron| |Age,| |c.| |1400| |-| |1100| |B.C.|NEW
This flask came to us identified as a Cypriot flask found in Israel. This form is from Cyprus but most Cypriot specimens are "red lustrous ware." Click here to see a superb Cypriot flask in the British Museum. Our specimen is red-orange clay with a buff or brown slip and clearly cruder than the Cypriot examples. It is imitative of the Cypriot type, almost certainly made locally in Canaan. The referenced Canaanite flask is discussed in Trude Dothan's (1979), Excavations at the cemetery of Deir El-Balah (available online). Deir El-Balah is in the central Gaza Strip. The cemetery's main period of use spans the 13th century B.C., with a possible beginning in the 14th and extension into the 12th. The flask was found in grave 116, cut into the sandstone, and containing an anthropoid coffin and burial gifts that indicate, like other similar burials in the cemetery, the dead was of high position, had an Egyptian cultural affiliation, and must have lived in the area. Dothan notes several similar flasks from other Canaanite excavations, one dated c. 1250- 1200, and others found in a mixed Late Bronze Age and Early Iron Age context.
BK23894. cf. Deir El-Balah (Qedem 10) p. 40, 29; see note 9 for a list of other finds; for Cypriot prototype see BM Online 1899-1229-102, Choice, complete and intact, slip worn, terracotta lentoid pilgrim flask, 19 cm (7 1/2") tall, red-orange clay with a buff-brown slip, asymmetrical lentoid body wheel made in two joined halves, long neck, mouth just slightly flared, single handle from shoulder to neck; ex Griffin Gallery of Ancient Art (Boca Raton FL); $1100.00 SALE PRICE $990.00


Late Roman - Byzantine, Holyland (Syro-Palestinian), Bi-Lanceolate Pottery Oil Lamp, c. 270 - 500 A.D.

|Oil| |Lamps|, |Late| |Roman| |-| |Byzantine,| |Holyland| |(Syro-Palestinian),| |Bi-Lanceolate| |Pottery| |Oil| |Lamp,| |c.| |270| |-| |500| |A.D.|NEW
Adler notes these lamps are found throughout the northern part of Israel, especially in Beit Shean and Hamat Gader, and date to the fourth and fifth centuries. Sussman lists more than a dozen very similar lamps, most found at Beit Shean, and she dates them to the late third and fourth centuries. Hamat Gader was already a well known health and recreation site in Roman times, mentioned in Strabo, Origen and Eunapius, as well as the Rabbinic literature. Construction of the bath complex began in the 2nd century by the 10th Roman Legion, which was garrisoned in nearby Gadara (modern Umm Qais). The ancient Hebrew name means hot springs of (the ancient city of) Gadara. The Arabic name El-Hamma preserves this, and the name of the tel located near the site, Tel Bani, is a corruption of the Latin word meaning "baths." The empress Aelia Eudocia composed a poem praising the qualities of the multiple springs which was inscribed so that visitors could see it as they went into the pool. The photo to the right is of the ancient Roman baths. Click the photo to see a larger image.Hammat Gader Baths
AL93930. Bi-lanceolate pottery oil lamp; Adler Collection (website) type N2; cf. Sussman Late 3126; Schloessinger 451; Bailey BMC -; 8.7 cm (3 3/8") long, Choice, complete and intact, tiny chips (from ancient use) and soot at nozzle, c. 270 - 500 A.D.; pink clay, buff slip, mold made with incised and/or punched decoration, teardrop shaped biconvex body includes the entire lamp from tip of nozzle to tip of "tongue" handle, wide rim and incised groove surround a large fill hole, pair of grooves on handle, herring-bone geometric wreath pattern on narrow convex shoulders; $120.00 SALE PRICE $108.00 ON RESERVE


Roman, Holyland (Syro-Palestinian), Terracotta Disk Lamp, 150 - 300 A.D.

|Oil| |Lamps|, |Roman,| |Holyland| |(Syro-Palestinian),| |Terracotta| |Disk| |Lamp,| |150| |-| |300| |A.D.|NEW
The disk lamp, widely copied and produced in abundance, spread everywhere across the Roman Empire, starting from the second half of the 1st century A.D., throughout the 2nd century, and continuing into the 3rd century A.D. The popular acceptance of Roman lamps by Jews probably presented a problem for conservative Jews who remained suspicious of all things Roman. This likely accounts for the statement in the Mishnah that the Palestinian Rabbi Eliezer ben Hyrcanus (active around 80 - 120 A.D.) held that a lamp's filling-hole should be large enough for a small coin to drop through it. Roman lamps usually had a decorated discus and small filling-hole. The plain discus on many of these lamps produced in the Levant may have been an attempt by manufacturers to avoid offending conservative Jewish clients, who broke the discus to make a larger hole.
AL93939. Kennedy Type 5, cf. Warschaw 45 - 47 (incised decoration), Adler Type 3.5/R.2 (decorated); 8.1 cm (3 3/16") long, Choice, complete and intact, encrustation, red clay, buff slip, mold made, round disk body, small short rounded nozzle, no handle, concave discus with small offset filling hole, coarse finishing, undecorated; $100.00 SALE PRICE $90.00


Late Roman - Byzantine, Holyland (Syro-Palestinian), Bi-Lanceolate Pottery Oil Lamp, c. 270 - 500 A.D.

|Oil| |Lamps|, |Late| |Roman| |-| |Byzantine,| |Holyland| |(Syro-Palestinian),| |Bi-Lanceolate| |Pottery| |Oil| |Lamp,| |c.| |270| |-| |500| |A.D.|NEW
Adler notes these lamps are found throughout the northern part of Israel, especially in Beit Shean and Hamat Gader, and date to the fourth and fifth centuries. Sussman lists more than a dozen very similar lamps, most found at Beit Shean, and she dates them to the late third and fourth centuries. At this time,, Beit Shean, was primarily Christian, but evidence of Jewish habitation and a Samaritan synagogue indicate established minority communities. Hamat Gader was already a well known health and recreation site in Roman times, mentioned in Strabo, Origen and Eunapius, as well as the Rabbinic literature. Construction of the bath complex began in the 2nd century by the 10th Roman Legion, which was garrisoned in nearby Gadara (modern Umm Qais). The ancient Hebrew name means hot springs of (the ancient city of) Gadara. The Arabic name El-Hamma preserves this, and the name of the tel located near the site, Tel Bani, is a corruption of the Latin word meaning "baths." The empress Aelia Eudocia composed a poem praising the qualities of the multiple springs which was inscribed so that visitors could see it as they went into the pool. The photo to the right is of the ancient Roman baths. Click the photo to see a larger image.Hammat Gader Baths
AL93918. Bi-lanceolate pottery oil lamp; Adler Collection (website) type N2; Sussman Late 3125- 3136; 8.0 cm (3 1/8") long, near Choice, complete and intact, encrustation, wear, soot on nozzle, c. 270 - 500 A.D.; pink-buff clay, mold made with incised decoration, the body includes the entire lamp from tip of nozzle to tip of "tongue" handle, wide rim surrounds a large fill hole, incised herring-bone geometric wreath pattern on narrow convex shoulders, two incised lengthwise lines on the handle, incised lines between fill hold rim and nozzle; $80.00 SALE PRICE $72.00


Late Roman - Byzantine, Holyland (Syro-Palestinian), Bi-Lanceolate Pottery Oil Lamp, c. 270 - 500 A.D.

|Oil| |Lamps|, |Late| |Roman| |-| |Byzantine,| |Holyland| |(Syro-Palestinian),| |Bi-Lanceolate| |Pottery| |Oil| |Lamp,| |c.| |270| |-| |500| |A.D.|NEW
Adler notes these lamps are found throughout the northern part of Israel, especially in Beit Shean and Hamat Gader, and date to the fourth and fifth centuries. Sussman lists more than a dozen very similar lamps, most found at Beit Shean, and she dates them to the late third and fourth centuries. Hamat Gader was already a well known health and recreation site in Roman times, mentioned in Strabo, Origen and Eunapius, as well as the Rabbinic literature. Construction of the bath complex began in the 2nd century by the 10th Roman Legion, which was garrisoned in nearby Gadara. The ancient Hebrew name means hot springs of (the ancient city of) Gadara (modern Umm Qais). The Arabic name El-Hamma preserves this, and the name of the tel located near the site, Tel Bani, is a corruption of the Latin word meaning "baths." The empress Aelia Eudocia composed a poem praising the qualities of the multiple springs which was inscribed so that visitors could see it as they went into the pool. The photo to the right is the ruins of the 5th century synagogue at Hamat Gader. Click the photo to see a larger image.Hammat Gader Synagogue
AL93923. Bi-lanceolate pottery oil lamp; Adler Collection (website) type N2; cf. Sussman Late 3126; Schloessinger 451; Bailey BMC -; 8.7 cm (3 3/8") long, nice Collectible condition, intact, surface chips, overall wear, soot on nozzle, c. 270 - 500 A.D.; pink clay, buff slip, mold made with incised and/or punched decoration, the body includes the entire lamp from tip of nozzle to tip of "tongue" handle, wide rim and incised groove surround a large fill hole, pair of grooves on handle, herring-bone geometric wreath pattern on narrow convex shoulders; $60.00 SALE PRICE $54.00


Greek, Attic White Ground Lekythos, c. 5th Century B.C.

|Pottery| |Antiquities|, |Greek,| |Attic| |White| |Ground| |Lekythos,| |c.| |5th| |Century| |B.C.|
A lekythos (plural lekythoi) is a type of Greek pottery used primarily for storing olive oil and perfumes. Most are decorated with a fine-line figural designs. A large number of this white-ground lekythos style are known from graves (especially Athenian graves) were they were left by the family of the dead. The white ground paint was fragile and not suitable for heavy use. Red-figure and entirely black-glazed lekythoi were much more durable and popular for everyday use.
AP63817. Attic white ground lekythos; cf. CVA Finland 1, pp. 60-63; 45 cm (17 3/4") tall, reassembled from many fragments, near complete, a bit lop-sided but stands, c. 5th century B.C.; cup mouth, narrow neck with a loop-shaped handle, long cylindrical body gracefully tapered from the shoulder to the round base, disk foot; mouth neck, base and foot black, figural design obscure; from a New Jersey collector; SOLD


Kingdom of Israel, Pottery Bowl, Iron Age I, 1200 - 800 B.C.

|Holy| |Land| |Antiquities|, |Kingdom| |of| |Israel,| |Pottery| |Bowl,| |Iron| |Age| |I,| |1200| |-| |800| |B.C.|
Time of Samuel and Judges.

From the collection of Alex G. Malloy, former dealer in antiquities for 40 years.

Found in Israel.
AH48135. Pottery bowl; cf. Amiran pl. 60, 1; buff, wheel-made, ovoid body, vertical side rim, pedestal ring base, 2 inches high x 6 inches diameter, Superb, intact, SOLD


Columbia, Guacari Region, Narino, Red Glazed Zoomorphic (Frog) Pot, c. 1000 A.D.

|Pre-Columbian| |Antiquities|, |Columbia,| |Guacari| |Region,| |Narino,| |Red| |Glazed| |Zoomorphic| |(Frog)| |Pot,| |c.| |1000| |A.D.|
 
AE61811. Narino, Zoomorphic Pot, 2.5 inches, burnished red glazed vessel with rim decorated with a molded frog, intact, SOLD







CLICK HERE TO SEE MORE FROM THIS CATEGORY - FORVM's PRIOR SALES



Catalog current as of Monday, July 4, 2022.
Page created in 3.062 seconds.
All coins are guaranteed for eternity