Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Forum purchase o' the day  (Read 144872 times)

nikos k

Forum purchase o' the day
« Reply #150 on: November 04, 2009, 06:13:55 am »
thank you dougsmit

Your web site was one of the first i found about ancient coins and read it of course.
To tell you the truth your very interesting thoughts about this type was very intriguing
for me and make me wanting one of these.  ;)

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2009, 03:46:10 pm »
This is not my usual Roman imperial, but you guys are really making me want to expand my collection into Greek and provincials... so, I ordered this gorgeous Alexander drachm and two Syrian provincials today from Joe.

Hey, this one made me stand up, point to the screen and say to my wife,
              "That's what I'm talkin' about! If you don't get it, I can't explain it."

Danny

Silver drachm, Price 1565, gVF, Troas, Abydos? mint,
4.243g, 17.1mm, die axis 0, posthumous, c. 310 - 297 B.C.
Obv: Herakles' head right, clad in lion-skin head-dress;
Rev: ALEXANDROU, Zeus enthroned left, eagle in extended right,
scepter in left, MU monogram within wreath left,
head wearing Phrygian hat below throne; rare

nikos k

« Reply #152 on: November 23, 2009, 06:15:14 am »
I remember it on Forvm listings. A beautiful drachma!
I can share your happiness,there is no more than three months i bought my first one
 from Lampsakos mint.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #153 on: November 23, 2009, 07:26:15 am »
Nikos, I had considered purchasing your Istros stater above,
but I guess you beat me to it. It is a wonderful piece. The figures
are literally jumping off the coin. A great example of that coin.
And I can't wait to get mine!

Danny

nikos k

« Reply #154 on: November 23, 2009, 02:09:48 pm »
Hallo Danny!

"That's what I'm talkin' about! If you don't get it, I can't explain it."

I live this almost everyday...
I simply dont want to explain it anymore..

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #155 on: November 24, 2009, 03:45:47 am »
Here's a beautiful provincial Philip I Tetradrachm of Antioch I just purchased from FORVM.

Philip I, 244-249 A.D.
Antioch, Syria Billon tetradrachm

Obverse: "AUTOK K M IOULI FILIPPO"C CE"B",
                laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right;
Reverse: "DHMARC EXOU"C"IA"C "UPATO D",
               eagle standing facing, head right holding wreath in beak,
               ANTIOXIA S C in ex

Prieur 444, VF, 10.738g, 25.8mm,
Die Axis: 0, Antioch mint, 249 A.D.;

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #156 on: November 29, 2009, 12:17:39 pm »
Today I bought this AE 18 from Forum Ancient Coins. Ok, it' s not one of the eye-catching ones but on the second look it has some nice features.

Moesia inferor, Nikopolis ad Istrum, Septimius Severus, 193-211
AE 18, 2.38g, 17.8mm
obv. AV KAI CE - CEVHROC
       Head, laureate, r.
rev. NIKOPOLIT - W - N PROC [IC]
      Hermes, nude, wearing petasos, chlamys over l. arm, holding purse in r. hand and
      kerykeion in l. arm.
This type is not listed in AMNG. The obv. is AMNG I/1, 1375. The rev. legend has interesting breaks which I have never seen before. And a legend with these special breaks is not listed in AMNG. And neither the depiction. AMNG I/1,1373 describes the rev. rather well, but omits the petasos. AMNG I/1, 1376 describes the petasos, but has the additional cock. So this could well be a new unlisted type.

And most remarkable: the unusual and interesting portrait. It looks more like Marcus Aurelius than Severus itself!

Best regards

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2009, 06:08:09 pm »
Here is 1 of 2 Claudius II coins I received today from Forvm,  both year 2 Tets. 

Still working  on refining the pics ( a la slokind ) ,  but  the detail of the coin is fantastic in hand.  I'll be adding to this post as soon as I take the pics of the second one

EDITED,  here is a pic of the second coin

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #158 on: December 22, 2009, 12:50:03 pm »
These probably wouldn't be COTD worthy individually, but I like giving Forum a plug.  I ordered these within a short time of each other, and the shipping was very fast as usual.

I usually like billon/silver coins to be silver-colored, but the hoard patina of the Trebonianus Gallus is fairly attractive.

Demetrius I Antioch mint.
31745. Silver tetradrachm, Newell SMA 97, SNG Spaer 1256 - 62 var (control-mark), F+, cracked, Antioch mint, weight 14.440g, maximum diameter 31.6mm, die axis 0o, 162 - 150 B.C.; obverse diademed head of Demetrios right, fillet border; reverse BASILEWS / DHMHTRIOU, Tyche seated left, short scepter in right, cornucopia in left, seat supported by Nike, monogram in ex; possibly broken in two and glued together;

Trebonianus Gallus Antioch Tetradrachm
33010. Billon tetradrachm, Prieur 668, SNG Cop 290, SGICV 4349, aVF, 7th officina, Antioch mint, weight 12.839g, maximum diameter 27.7mm, die axis 0o, first issue; obverse AUTOK K G OUIB TREB GALLOC CEB, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, from behind, Z below; reverse DHMARC EXOUCIAC, eagle standing slightly right, head left, Z between legs, S C below;

Vitellius Tarraco Denarius
RS38190. Silver denarius, RIC I 6, BMCRE I 85, Fair, Spain, Tarraco mint, weight 2.384g, maximum diameter 18.0mm, die axis 180o, 69 A.D.; obverse A VITELLIVS IMP GERMANICVS, laureate head left, globe at point of bust; reverse CONSENSVS EXERCITVVM, Mars advancing left, holding aquila and vexillum; rare;

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2010, 05:41:49 pm »
Here is a wonderful Constantine AE3 that I just bought from FORVM. Note the emperors hair!

Offline Remus22

• Legionary
« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2010, 07:15:09 pm »
Well, I'm kicking myself!  As I was checking out to buy this coin it got sold right out from under me!  Anyone here?

Augustus denarius with Capricorn reverse.  Beautiful and a great price!  Someone got a deal.  Too bad it wasn't me!  Too slow I guess!

It was me. My first coin of Augustus. My apologies, but after seeing a pleasant balance of style w/ price, I knew I could not just hesitate on acquisition!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #161 on: January 26, 2010, 11:32:09 pm »
Quote from: Remus22 on January 23, 2010, 07:15:09 pm
Well, I'm kicking myself!  As I was checking out to buy this coin it got sold right out from under me!  Anyone here?

Augustus denarius with Capricorn reverse.  Beautiful and a great price!  Someone got a deal.  Too bad it wasn't me!  Too slow I guess!

It was me. My first coin of Augustus. My apologies, but after seeing a pleasant balance of style w/ price, I knew I could not just hesitate on acquisition!

Congratulations!

I just noticed Joe listed an Agrippa/Neptune AE As and a Germanicus AE As that used to be mine!  That's the first time I've seen my old coins come back around for sale.  Strange feeling...

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #162 on: January 26, 2010, 11:43:50 pm »
Quote from: Remus22 on January 23, 2010, 07:15:09 pm

Congratulations!

I just noticed Joe listed an Agrippa/Neptune AE As and a Germanicus AE As that used to be mine!  That's the first time I've seen my old coins come back around for sale.  Strange feeling...

Just added those to my wish list :)

Offline arizonarobin

• Caesar
  • Ms. arizonarobin :)
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2010, 08:08:22 pm »
I just got both of these lovely ladies from the Forvm:

Offline Coinseum

• Legionary
« Reply #164 on: February 08, 2010, 06:23:16 pm »
I just puchased this from FORVM and am very excited about it (check out my avatar  :) ). I had been eyeing if of since I discovered the site as I have developed a liking for the campgate design. It may not be as rare and expensive as most of the coins here but it will certainly be the jewel in the crown of my humble collection. I must also add that dealing with Joe is an absolute pleasure. I paid for the invoice and was typing a thankyou note when I got an email that the items had already been shipped!! Thats super fast service. Thanks again Joe.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #165 on: February 08, 2010, 11:28:53 pm »
Just bought this HUGE coin from FORVM today.  Can't wait to hold this massive AE!

Bronze drachm
Svoronos 1126, VF, brown patina,
68.751g, 40.9mm, 0o,
Alexandria (or Sidon) mint,
Obverse: horned head of Zeus Ammon right, wearing taenia;
Reverse: BASILWS PTOLEMAIOU, eagle with wings closed standing left on thunderbolt, filleted cornucopia left, LI between eagle's legs

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #166 on: February 09, 2010, 02:24:50 am »
that's a really nice one Jay... terrific Zeus!

~ Peter

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #167 on: February 09, 2010, 02:45:48 am »
I am partial to large coins, and that's a very nice one; well done!

Offline Randygeki(h2)

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • :D
    • My gallery
« Reply #168 on: February 09, 2010, 11:20:35 am »
its a beauty, congrats!

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #169 on: February 15, 2010, 12:40:20 am »
Could not resist this Manuel I Electrum aspron trachy, a bit out of my bronze area  but a nice coin at a price I could afford being cracked. Shipped as usual in a very safe manner and arrived quickly!! ;D

Manuel I Komnenus electrum aspron trachy
Obverse: IC-XC OEMMANVOHA Facing bust of Christ, bearded facing pallium, colobium, Gospela in left.
Reverse: MANOYHA (delta) ECIII (or similar), Virgan Mary nimbate stdg on r. wears pallium and maphorium, crowns emperor with right hand, Manuel stdg on l. wears divitison, loros and chlamys, holds labarum and akakia
Date: 8 April 1143-24 Sept 1180 CE
Mint: Constantinople
Sear 1957
33mm 4.33gm EF cracked

ex Forum

cw

and by the way, Jay that is a very sweet Bronze Drachm, aside from Byzantines I think those are amazing coins! 68 gms! what would a pocket of those feel like?

Offline Paul D3

• Consul
« Reply #170 on: March 06, 2010, 06:29:25 pm »
Here is my latest FORVM purchase- a wonderful Crispus AE3 RIC 66 R5 with complete legends and borders. A key coin for my collection.

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #171 on: March 06, 2010, 06:41:46 pm »
Perfectly centered. Fantastic!

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2010, 06:56:22 pm »
Sometimes late Roman coins can be beautiful too.

Best regards

Offline Jaimelai

• Caesar
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2010, 07:32:26 pm »
I woke up Monday morning to the pleasant surprise that I had won 6 coins in the latest Forum eBay auction!  I don't think that I have ever won one before and here I had won 6!  (pays to stay up late Sunday nights sometimes).  And to top it off, I had the coins in my hand the very next day!   Can't beat that! 

I really like this little Greek silver.  It is just incredible how they could carve an eagle with such  an attitude on such a tiny coin:

Kyme, Aeolis 
480 - 450 B.C.
Silver hemiobol
0.40 gm, 7.8 mm
Obv.: KY, eagle head left
Rev.: incuse square of mill-sail pattern
SGCV II 4174, BMC 17 p. 105, 11

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #174 on: March 13, 2010, 04:40:58 am »
We may congratulate each other: I got the other one.  You did a fine job of photographing yours. I have to try again.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity