Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Recommendation for good handheld magnifier?  (Read 241 times)

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
Recommendation for good handheld magnifier?
« on: August 14, 2023, 10:17:02 pm »
This may seem like a silly question, but does anyone have a recommendation for a true 5x or 10x easy to use handheld magnifier with a field of view large enough to see an entire denarius or ant? By easy to use I mean one with comfortable eye relief. I’ve been looking for a lab or industrial grade magnifier of that description since before I started collecting ancients, and with my aging eyes the need grows worse. I know that as magnification increases field of view decreases, so it will probably require a large lens to get both the desired magnification and FOV. I’ve been getting by with the collection of tools below, left to right, two so-called 5X magnifying glasses which are probably 5 diopters (about 2.25x), a cheap 4.5X bug loupe which actually is pretty good, the 10X Carson loupe and a 16X loupe.  Any leads would be appreciated

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Recommendation for good handheld magnifier?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 10:31:41 am »
I don’t have any great recommendations for you. You have a nice set (nicely pictured, too). I have had several similar magnifying glasses over the years, but their magnification (5x, 10x, what have you) are largely unknown. I sorely miss a Russian high powered metal-framed loupe I found in Rome, but have since misplaced, probably at a coin show. It looked like your 16x loupe (hmmm…).

Joe sent me a nice ‘credit card’ magnifier with my last FAC coin purchase. I’ll take that on my next trip to a coin show.

My eyes are also aging, and the need for lighting has grown. My go-to magnifier is an LED desk lamp:
Carson MagniFlex Pro 2x LED Lighted Gooseneck Flexible Magnifier with 4x Spots Lens and Magnetic Base (CP-90). The 4x spot is about the size of a jeweler’s loupe, so rather small, and the 2x main glass is rather low power, but it all seems to work.

Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 01:09:32 pm »
I have one of those gooseneck magnifiers, well I actually stole it from my wife, she used it for stitching. I don't like it. I have aging eyes, too, one of my biggest issues is I need bright light for everything, plus I wear glasses. The gooseneck is awkward and, while I use it, I usually revert to a handheld magnifying glass I can more easily control. On mine, the lens is uneven, perhaps a better quality device would work better. I use the lamp more for illumination.

That said, I think the answer for me would be a microscope with an option for 5X. Mine is 10X/20X and even at 10X, it magnifies too much for seeing the entire coin. It is wonderful for detailed work, but I, like you, like seeing the entire coin filling the frame. When you wear glasses, a microscope is a pain at times.

I also got one of those magnifiers from Joe and I think the one I got was flawed. It was a cool little item. Hint, hint.

Virgil

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 12:30:47 pm »
Fwiw, I use a 4x Bergeon watchmaker’s loupe that you wear over am eye like a Monacle.

For anything needing more magnification, I move to the stereo microscope.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 01:06:36 pm »
Ron, I’m sure I speak for everyone here when I say that we want to see that picture. Will it be more Dread Pirate Ron, Special Forces Ron, or gemstone Ron?
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline JamesC11

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 04:29:55 pm »
Until recently I used a cheap plastic and glass item three inches long given me for free with "on approval" postage stamps from Garcelon or Littleton or one of them there companies about seventy years ago.  A few years back, I inherited a Magnivision glass (sold everywhere) from a friend, but she had to die first.  It is lightweight so that the lens falls out of the plastic frame every so often; but, as I mostly buy moderately priced coins, it doesn't help (at about the age of eighty years) to see them much better anyway.  I mostly notice that my fingernails and cuticles are in urgent need of care.  Hope this helps.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity