Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: "My first ancient" ot Day  (Read 2236 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
"My first ancient" ot Day
« on: May 30, 2007, 06:23:52 am »
I have been updating the images of my collection and have come across my first ever ancient coin purchase. Not a scarce coin but it was the purchase of this coin that dragged me away from the world of English Hammered coins into the world of ancient coins. It was a very ego-centric purchase with Mars being the root of Martin and thus a fascination with Mars reverse types that led me (eventually) to collecting the Lugdunum mint.

Anyway, a decent example fot this type with a good size flan, good strike on both sides and not too much wear and a wonderful slate grey cabinet toning. All that is irrelevant as this coin is special, to me at least.

Severus Alexander denarius
Obv:IMP ALEXANDER PIVS AVG, Laureate, draped bust right
Rev:MARS VLTOR, Mars advancing right, holding a spear and shield
Minted in Rome.
Ref:– RIC 246. RSC 161a.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
Re: "My first ancient" ot Day
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 09:05:39 am »
Martin,

I think your coin is quite beautiful, and since it "dragged [you] . . . into the world of ancient coins," it is pretty special.

Jim
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 09:15:01 am »
My first ancient coin is a very ugly and worthless Constantine slug which I bought some 25 years ago when I was a child. I still keep it, but I will not show that "thing" because I like it and I don't want comments. Yours is different - it deserves comments: Beautiful coin indeed;  especially I like the colour because it is not as overcleaned as a lot of ancient silver coins.

Best - Frank

Offline mix_val

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 09:17:36 am »
A pretty good looking coin!  Wish my first coin was as good.
Bob Crutchley
My gallery of the coins of Severus Alexander and his family
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=16147

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 05:22:07 pm »
Both the dies (obv. and rev.!) and the condition of this coin make it a real gem! We can imagine Mars dragging you behind him!

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 07:52:50 am »
Hi Martin,

For a newbie (as you were at this time) your eye has been very acurate. Not many people can show such a nice coin as first purchase. Congratulations

Regards
Potator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity