Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: I put down a coin somewhere....  (Read 3402 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
I put down a coin somewhere....
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:47:36 am »
I’ve just come off a one-hour phone call with an academic numismatist. During the call we discussed a sabbatical in Stanford, the Getty museum numismatic library, a Trajanic restitution issue of a denarius of Lucius Rubrius Dossenus which he thinks might be fake, office removals, and ended up with an extended discussion on die studies in the late third century BC with a focus on the bronzes of RRC72 and the silver of RRC 105-106-107. During the discussion on the Trajan fake restitution, I picked up a denarius of Lucius Rubrius Dossenus that belongs to a friend and talked through some stylistic issues. I also multi-tasked by putting books back on my shelves during periods. The call lasted one hour, two minutes and 43 seconds, during which time I wandered through all the rooms of my apartment several times.

Now I couldn't find my friend's denarius

It took longer than the one hour call endlessly retracing, pulling books out, looking under chairs. Evidently I cared for the coin, as I placed it somewhere nice and cushiony (rubber buttons).

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: I put down a coin somewhere....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 01:00:08 pm »
Phew!!! I do this all too often.

"Gettin' old aint for sissies."

PeteB

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 02:03:50 pm »

My wife likes to remind (chide) me that men can't multi-task!

Offline Jordan Montgomery

• Consul
    • Gallery of my Roman Republican coin collection
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2016, 02:36:09 pm »
A few months back I was spending a Sunday afternoon cataloging and photographing a few recent purchases and inspecting and packaging up a few of my remaining Imperials that I had sold earlier that day. I was just about to leave for the post office when I noticed a flip sitting on my desk with tags for a Spearhead victoriatus but no coin. I searched the vicinity without finding anything and then after being sure I had searched everywhere that made sense, tore open each of the mailers to make sure I hadn't inadvertently packed it in with one of the sold coins and then saw a coin sitting there on my photography stand. In my excitement to review what I was sure were some excellent photos of the new purchase on my PC I completely forgot to put the coin back in its flip. Not a terribly expensive mistake but I now have a "new coin checklist" that specifically includes making sure the coin and its associated tags are where they should be before moving on to the next one.
Gallery of my collection with notes and discussion of Republican history and numismatics

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2016, 05:31:46 pm »
I lost things all the time. Especially my glasses. There's a pair around somewhere that's been lost for months. They're probably buried.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 05:56:53 pm »
I once found a coin in the pages of a book...many years after I lost it.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 06:33:12 pm »
Once a small coin (1.2mm) dropped to the ground. Searching for more than 1h was not successful. Therefore I had written off the coin. One week later when my wife was hoovering the ground she heard "clic-clac" and the coin was found.

Jochen

Offline n.igma

• Caesar
  • Life is bigger than a Tweet.
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 11:02:03 pm »
Too much choice and distraction. Things always get lost when you have too many remote controls!  ;D
All historical inquiry is contingent and provisional, and our own prejudices will in due course come under scrutiny by our successors.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2016, 09:40:20 am »
The biggest thing that I have lost is my car. I always parked in the same place in Stirling but one day when I returned after a wander round the town I discovered my car was gone. It was only while I was walking to the police station to report it stolen that I spotted it parked at the side of the road and remembered that that was where I had left it.

*Alex

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2016, 10:17:39 am »
Quote from: Carausius on February 22, 2016, 02:03:50 pm

My wife likes to remind (chide) me that men can't multi-task!

Hi folks,

:) ::)

I hate multi-tasking. I do one thing at a time.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2016, 10:21:15 am »
Hi folks,

This thread reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"Of all the things I've lost in my life, the thing I miss the most is my mind." - Ozzy Osbourne :) ::)

A great quote from one of the "metal gods", the "Oz man" himself.

Meepzorp

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2016, 10:31:33 am »
i know the feeling as well, and its still lost.
i hope that something will happen as Joe described 
All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline maridvnvm

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2016, 10:51:55 am »
I have one that has "walked" away from where it was and has been missing for two weeks now. I keep looking.....hoping.....

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2016, 11:23:32 am »
The worst is when I put something in "special" place so I won't forget where it is - that is when I invariably do forget where I put it.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2016, 12:25:10 pm »
The worst is when I put something in "special" place so I won't forget where it is - that is when I invariably do forget where I put it.

I feel so much better knowing that I am not the only one who does this!!!

A while ago I thought I had lost a little silver obol.  One day while looking through a bag of old 2x2 plastic flips for one to use, a dark spot caught my eye and lo and behold it was the coin down in the corner of one of the flips.

Offline manpace

• Caesar
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2016, 01:21:14 pm »
One time I was soaking two AE Scordisci tetradrachms in distilled water and my little two-year-old pumpkin knocked the container off the counter and one of the coins disappeared.  Something like a week later she wandered into the kitchen and handed over the missing coin.  I still don't know what happened to it that whole time.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2016, 04:18:01 pm »
Quote from: Meepzorp on February 23, 2016, 10:21:15 am
This thread reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"Of all the things I've lost in my life, the thing I miss the most is my mind." - Ozzy Osbourne :) ::)

A great quote from one of the "metal gods", the "Oz man" himself.

Meepzorp

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."
~ Mark Twain

this attribution may be questionable, but it is certain that this was from long before Ozzy (as, probably, were most things).

~ Peter

Offline John Anthony

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2016, 12:17:58 pm »
I'm much more careful after I lost a coin that has never been found. It was nothing special - an VRBS ROMA, but it was a scarce variety in nice condition. Despite my best efforts, however, my brain is occasionally not my friend. Last month I lost a lovely bronze of Smyrna, and gave up in frustration searching for it. Yesterday I found it tucked into a flip with an ant of Gallienus. What could possibly have possessed me to put a bronze of Smyrna with an ant of Gallienus? Can someone explain this to me.  ???

RiViERA

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2016, 09:51:34 pm »
Quite a logical place for it, I think - You know you are going for that remote sometime soon!  Much better that putting it up on top of the Fridge or on some bookshelf somewhere! 
At least you got some exercise looking for it!
As they say, "it always turns up at the last place you look..."

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2016, 10:54:15 pm »
"Can someone explain this to me"
Sounds like something I have done when overly tired.
PeteB

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2016, 12:49:39 am »
I don´t remember mislaying any of my own coins but a certain board member who shall remain anonymous (Lee S) :-X managed to lose two or three coins during a midsummer party at my place in 2014. I might be mistaken but i vaguely remember him finding at least one of the coins, i´m sure he will correct me if wrong. We had both been sampling the beverages when they disappeared, i suppose the moral of the story is "don't drink alcohol and show of your latest coins under the influence".  ;D

Lesson learned ?

Offline daverino

• Caesar
    • My Gallery:
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2016, 10:07:28 am »
Coins are like my glasses, car keys and wallet. If I put them down absent-mindedly in any spot other than the two or three places that they are supposed to be, I am in big trouble.

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2016, 08:53:11 am »
I am glad to find I am not alone in doing things like this.  The worst I ever experienced was while visiting a dealer, a friend of mine.  He had recently acquired a lovely, rare, and expensive Greek silver tetradrachm with a long provenance.  I volunteered to check the provenance, got out a group of books and started checking.  Suddenly the coin was GONE.  After an hour of searching, the sun had moved to a position where a ray reflected off the coin, revealing it.  I had put the coin on a picture of it in one of the open books.  It seemed to have disappeared, right in plain sight.

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2016, 03:53:24 am »
I don´t remember mislaying any of my own coins but a certain board member who shall remain anonymous (Lee S) :-X managed to lose two or three coins during a midsummer party at my place in 2014. I might be mistaken but i vaguely remember him finding at least one of the coins, i´m sure he will correct me if wrong. We had both been sampling the beverages when they disappeared, i suppose the moral of the story is "don't drink alcohol and show of your latest coins under the influence".  ;D

Lesson learned ?

Im sure some future metal detectorist will wonder how some Indo-Scythian coins eneded up around Arados's homestead.... Just like they will wonder how the nice Parthian silver coin ended up in the site of Spånga station when the flip dropped out of my pocket, or a couple of small roman bronzes ended up outside my old apartment when they blew off the windowsill while retoning in the sunshine after being treated for BD... or the uncleaned coin that my cat decided to play with, never to be seen again....... the list goes on and on.....

Collecting coins is challenging when you are naturally a little bit clumsy and absent minded!!!  ::) ::) ::) ::)

Taras

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2016, 02:02:50 pm »
I lost a silver coin of Metapontion a summer of two years ago, after taking pics near a window. I immediately went to the pc to download the pics from the camera, forgetting to put the coin into its slipcase , and when after about half an hour I came back to the window the coin wasn't there. I think my cat threw it out the window by a paw, or perhaps a magpie stole it.
For days I looked both inside and outside my house, but I never found it. Since that day I never more handled my ancient coins without first closing the window and shutting the cat out of the room.  ;D

All coins are guaranteed for eternity