Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Post a pic of you, updated  (Read 28183 times)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Post a pic of you, updated
« Reply #1050 on: July 03, 2015, 05:36:17 pm »
Looking good Shawn.  When do you return to Canada?

Here's a pic of me and the fellas at the opening of the Pompeii exhibit at the Royal Ontario Museum.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #1051 on: July 06, 2015, 01:08:39 pm »
Most awesome!!

Please tell me Pompeii is on at the ROM for a while.  I roll into Ottawa on the August long weekend.  Get my long term storage shipment that week.  Start work again on August 10th.  But we have at least one trip to TO planned before the end of September and another before the end of the year.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #1052 on: July 10, 2015, 10:38:28 am »
I went to the ROM on Tuesday. Very nice exhibits, as per usual.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #1053 on: July 13, 2015, 03:32:40 pm »
Some photos from a June trip to Greece.  Hints to locations based on the coins attached.   ;D  All coins but the one in photo6 (in the following post) are from my collection.

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #1054 on: July 13, 2015, 03:34:03 pm »
Last photo

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #1055 on: July 14, 2015, 06:54:01 am »
Fabulous photos Dino! I love how you combined the coins with the holiday.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #1056 on: July 15, 2015, 09:50:24 pm »
Great pics Dino, I'm gonna do this on my next trip back to Calabria

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #1057 on: July 16, 2015, 01:59:12 am »
Nice!  I recognize some of the sites from being there last year.  Sadly I have no coins from any of the locations.  But, like you, good memories and family photos.
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #1058 on: August 23, 2015, 10:04:01 am »
Me, after the GLADIATORS LIVE show, staged by the Britannia group and organised by the Museum of London, at the Guildhall Yard, 9 August 2015.
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #1059 on: August 23, 2015, 02:32:34 pm »
A picture taken in March with me, my 94 year-old mother ( it was her birthday ), holding my grandson Christoph and his mother, my daughter Charlotte. Taken where the light was good: in the kitchen of our home - don't mind the mess!

Frans

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #1060 on: August 23, 2015, 03:48:08 pm »
Fabulous four-generation photo,  Frans!

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #1061 on: August 25, 2015, 02:50:47 pm »
Great picture, Frans.

Here is a "selfie" of me with part of the day's haul, which was perfectly appropriate given my interest in man-faced bulls: caterellus cornucopioides mushrooms! I've never found these before so I was very excited. They have a  sweet aroma that makes my mouth water, and are equally delicious!

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #1062 on: August 25, 2015, 11:03:20 pm »
nice Nick!
i can imagine them in a soup, or with a really good creamed cheese on a sourdough bagette.

which reminds me, it's almost time for my friend to show up with a bag full of chanterelles. ummmmm!

getting hungry,
~ Peter

Offline Constantine IV

• Caesar
  • Constantine IV
« Reply #1063 on: September 07, 2015, 01:06:36 pm »
At the Roman Bath House, York, England, 6 September 2015:
"He who gives himself airs of importance, exhibits the credentials of impotence". ~ Decimus Laberius, 46 BCE

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #1064 on: November 21, 2015, 02:17:35 am »
For as long as I can remember I've loved the Beatles, in particular George Harrison.  It was born out of the long drives in the country that my dad would take me on listening to great music.  In fact it seems the Beatles have been a part of every major event in my life.  In the summer I bought a Hofner bass like McCartney and have been teaching myself to play.  Its a lot of fun but about a month ago I took a sitar lesson and was completely hooked.

My dad passed away 2 weeks ago and the day after his funeral I ordered my own sitar.  Incidentally the Beatles were on the radio when i left the hospital.  While I've only had two lessons (using my guru's Rikhi Ram sitar) mine arrived today.  It's about 10 years old and completely hand made in India by master craftsmen.  The sound is incredible and even practicing scales is bringing me so much joy, regardless of the seating position!  It will take years, perhaps decades to play this instrument well, but I think it's worth it.  I did start picking out some "Norwegian wood" tonight.   8)  Here's me with the Rikhi Ram and my very own  below:

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #1065 on: December 23, 2015, 11:32:11 am »
Very cool.  Though we will wait for the George Harrison moustache in the next photo...

Condolences on the death of your father.  I am sure he would be happy that yet another memory of him lives on in this way.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Matthew C5

• Consul
« Reply #1066 on: January 04, 2016, 08:48:35 am »
That's an incredible instrument Jay.   +++ I've played in rock bands for years now, but never got my hands on one of those.  It instantly reminded me of Jeff Martin from the Tea Party, who coincidentally enough will be playing in Ottawa this friday likely doing his solo acoustic material with some Tea Party renditions.

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #1067 on: January 04, 2016, 10:26:04 am »
What a wonderful choice of instrument Jay, don´t base players usualy progress to lead guitar ?  ;D

I have always wanted to play drums since i was knee high to a grasshopper and finaly bought my first set of drums a couple of months ago (better late than never). I have been told by a friend who has played all his life that i will need to practice 10,000 hours (416 days) if i want to be top class.

I feel a great sense of pleasure and achievement when i manage to play just a few rock tracks without making too many mistakes.

Good luck with your sitar lessons.  ;)

Sorry to hear about your Dad passing.

Martin

Offline Perikles

• Consul
« Reply #1068 on: January 04, 2016, 03:39:26 pm »
Me in Berlin about a year ago.

Perikles
Ἐξ ἀνάγκης ἡ τοῦ νομίσματος ἐπορίσθη χρῆσις...,ὃ τῶν χρησίμων αὐτὸ ὂν εἶχε τὴν χρείαν εὐμεταχείριστον πρὸς τὸ ζῆν.
Ἀριστοτέλης, Πολιτικά

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #1069 on: January 04, 2016, 05:07:42 pm »
What a wonderful choice of instrument Jay, don´t base players usualy progress to lead guitar ?  ;D

I have always wanted to play drums since i was knee high to a grasshopper and finaly bought my first set of drums a couple of months ago (better late than never). I have been told by a friend who has played all his life that i will need to practice 10,000 hours (416 days) if i want to be top class.

I feel a great sense of pleasure and achievement when i manage to play just a few rock tracks without making too many mistakes.

Good luck with your sitar lessons.  ;)

Sorry to hear about your Dad passing.

Martin

Congrats on the drums!  I'd love to get a kit but with my Technic 1200's, records, bass and now sitar I have no room!

That's an incredible instrument Jay.   +++ I've played in rock bands for years now, but never got my hands on one of those.  It instantly reminded me of Jeff Martin from the Tea Party, who coincidentally enough will be playing in Ottawa this friday likely doing his solo acoustic material with some Tea Party renditions.

Very cool.  Though we will wait for the George Harrison moustache in the next photo...

Condolences on the death of your father.  I am sure he would be happy that yet another memory of him lives on in this way.

Shawn

Thanks guys.  

10 000 hours I think would just get you competent , I believe it would takes thousands more to be an expert on any instrument.  You have to especially start slow on sitar to let the callouses build up on your finges. 15-20 minutes a day or you run the risk of cutting your fingers as you frett. The strings are real thin and sharp.  On the plucking finger you wear a mizrab.  

It's never too late to start learning!

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #1070 on: January 12, 2016, 05:14:07 pm »
That is indeed an incredible instrument.  I always wanted to play an instrument but alas my. Talents are not in that area.
Norm

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #1071 on: January 16, 2016, 10:42:56 am »
So we had the photographer over and I couldn't help but add some props for a few photos :)

Nico reclined, before him is an open copy of Ignarra's De Palaestra Neapolitana which itself is covered in the jewels of my collection, including some nice Etruscan situla fittings and an Anatolian figurine from the early 1st millenium BC (the figurine is the first piece in Nico's own collection).

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #1072 on: January 16, 2016, 11:48:18 am »
Hi Nick,

Interesting, artsy concept. :)

Meepzorp

Offline okidoki

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270
« Reply #1073 on: January 16, 2016, 01:29:45 pm »
Me detecting in the UK.

All the Best,
Eric
There are no strangers, only friends you do not know yet.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=37270

Offline NORMAN K

• Consul
« Reply #1074 on: January 16, 2016, 02:22:40 pm »
Just an old retired carpenter working to ID a few coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity