Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Trajan's ruffled drapery  (Read 9939 times)

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Trajan's ruffled drapery
« on: January 11, 2010, 02:30:03 pm »
The drapery on the busts on Trajan's denarii is quite variable, and not a good way of telling one type from another.  This coin is almost RIC II 128, but RIC is specific that the drapery on this coin is on the left shoulder only, whereas my specimen has drapery behind the neck as well.

In fact, the material on the left shoulder is so ruffled that it might be an aegis.  Could that be a snake's head, or is it just the neckline of a garment?

Ons slight oddity: the P after COS V on the reverse is strangely formed, what remains of it, with an upright that does not seem to have a loop attached.

Nice portrait, anyway.

Silver denarius of Trajan. Rome mint, 107 CE. 19x20mm, 3.16g.
Obv: IMP TRAIANO AVG GER DAC P M TR P. Laureate bust right, with drapery on far shoulder and light drapery behind neck.
Rev: COS V P P S P Q R OPTIMO PRINC. Victoria standing left, draped from the waist down, holding wreath in right hand in front, and long palm frond in left arm behind.
Ref: RCV (2002) 3129 var (drapery); RIC II 128 var. (drapery)

Click to enlarge.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
Re: Trajan's ruffled drapery
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 02:43:39 pm »
As the bust is seen from rear the drapery behind the bust is on the left shoulder, too. I'm not sure if aegis or not, however.

Stefan

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 02:59:22 pm »
I think it's just a fold of the emperor's cloak (paludamentum), not an aegis.

The fold behind the neck is often present, but is regularly not mentioned in descriptions!
Curtis Clay

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 03:51:04 pm »
Since Trajan does have a sculptural portrait (see in Munich) with a snake-fringed aegis on his left shoulder, I am never sure whether in his case, especially, it is paludamentum fringe (which is common on those cloaks) or a snake-fringe.  Pat L.

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »
Thanks, Stefan, Curtis and Pat.  The description sometimes seems sometimes to be a matter of how you interpret the coin, or how much stuff there is on the shoulder.

For example, this one:

Was described by the seller (hjb, so perhaps Curtis?) as having an "aegis with Medusa head and snakes." There's certainly a lot of something there, but it's not easy to see what, and I suspect that is what it has to be rather than that being what it looks like.  Or, perhaps it's clearer on other specimens.

If you want to be sure there are snakes, you need something like this:

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2010, 06:06:14 pm »
Olympia and Munich Trajans, FWIW.  My mere teaching squibs are provided from File Info:

Munich, Glyptothek.  Bust of Trajan, wreathed and with an aegis (note snakes and gorgoneion) over his shoulder.  Here the gorgoneion is of more human character, like the famous Rondanini.

• Olympia Museum, from the fountain exedra of Herodes Atticus, Hadrian's Athenian banker friend, in the sanctuary at Olympia.  Portrait of Trajan as Zeus/Jupiter, complete with eagle as in the Vatican Claudius.  The date of execution, of course, is that of the exedra of Herodes which it was made to adorn, but the type dates either from the end of Trajan's reign or, more likely, from the date of his deification when Hadrian would have had a divine type specially created (not that the divine types are always posthumous--they aren't).  Anyway, you see why we call the New Iberia Hadrian* a Jupiter type.  Since Trajan is here in the exedra, one of the matronly female portraits has to have been Plotina, who not only was his empress but was also Sabina's great aunt. 
* I have heard that the New Iberia bank sold its Hadrian.  I guess some other bank bought the little bank.

My reason for posting them here is my conviction that the bare bust, with or without attributes, implies the divine character of the Augustus.  Now, neither of them wears a paludamentum (Gods don't).  Therefore, I am inclined to regard a bare bust with stuff on the left shoulder as alluding to a half-draped Jupiter or to an aegised Zeus-Jupiter, rather than to the emperor as Imperator (commader in chief of the legions or victor).  I don't think I'm being arbitrary, because Romans all over the Imperial world saw statues with this stuff all the time and, I think (if they looked at all), would recognize it on coins.
Pat L.
CLICK

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 04:54:32 am »
That's very interesting, thanks. 

What are those small objects on the right shoulder of both depictions?  The one with the aegis has a strap (for a sword?) but they do not seem to be connected to that. 

The statue of Trajan as Zeus/Jupiter has something on the left shoulder too, on top of the drapery.  Has something broken off there?   There clearly are some losses: the head of the eagle, and he must have been holding something too, perhaps a tall sceptre and a thunderbolt.

Bill

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 03:25:15 pm »
There are no restorations on the Trajan or other statues from the the exedra of Herodes Atticus at Olympia; neither the German excavators or Greek museums in general restore missing parts.  Only the length of one tibia is restored on the famous Hermes with the Infant Dionysos.

I think that those little bumps are related to extensions of the wreath ribbons that on statues and busts are often spread over the shoulders, but it's a long time since I was in the museums (and I didn't look for that detail when I was there).  They remain as attaching the ribbons to the shoulder.

If you have access to a Munich catalogue, you may find an identification of what kind of wreath Trajan wears; it isn't laurel.  Is it oak?

Anyhow, those half-draped deities (gentlemen of their age no longer ran around gymnoi in the gymnasium), we see an himation the end of which was over his shoulder, and the himation had no fringe.  Statues of Zeus, Hades, and Poseidon just standing with a scepter are draped that way.  Very Athenian or at least Greek.  Not Roman, not military.  When Zeus is aggressive, he will have his aegis; that is as much armor as these gods wear.

The famous "Dresden Zeus", which may well be, as E. Harrison say, Hades rather than his brother, is a good copy of a Classical (c. 420-410) statue.  Very bad old scan; must replace.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity