Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: what to do with these?  (Read 169 times)

Offline Kristian

• Praetorian
what to do with these?
« on: February 12, 2024, 03:15:53 pm »
Hello!
 I have in my possession an overwhelming amount of coins and not really sure what to do with it. I would say about 80% is impossible to identify with my knowledge (see pictures). The collection got handed down to me and i find it fun to identify them and learn about the history but these coins with barely anything to use to identify makes it very hard for me. How do yall think i should deal with them? In the pictures its just thicker and larger coins mostly romans i believe but probably others too.

yes most pattinas are gone.. grandpa liked cleaning these.

Kind regards.

Offline SRukke

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Go ahead, make my day.
    • My gallery. Started January 2009
Re: what to do with these?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 01:13:40 am »
Many look to be rather harshly cleaned and stripped of any patina.

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 03:22:36 am »
Hi Kristian.  I read some of your older posts, and it looks like you are making a good start.  If you can work with the coins that have identifiable letters in a row, sometimes you can get somewhere by entering a partial inscription at https://www.acsearch.info.  Even 4 or 5 letters can often bring up some results that will narrow your search.  It will get easier and more fun as time goes by and you will start to recognize the different types as you come across them.  Our experts can certainly help, as well.  When you identify a coin you can put it in a plastic flip along with a slip of paper and slowly build an organized collection.  It can seem overwhelming, but one coin at a time it will start to make sense.  Too many coins is a problem many of us would love to have.  Good luck!!!

P.S.  An introductory book like "Roman Coins and their Values", by David Sear (1988 edition is available in the Forum shop) will have examples of the gods and goddeses found on the coins, along with other helpful information.  And https://www.romancoin.info is also very good.  You can also start a free gallery here at Forum when you are ready to photograph and post the coins you are able to identify.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2024, 08:39:46 am »
The more ancients you look at the more your eyes get trained to spot what they are.  Just looking at the pictures I can identify many Emperors including  Augustus, Vespasian, Titus, Domitian, Hadrian, Trajan, Faustina... they're not a lost cause!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity