Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Interesting Caracalla provincial..  (Read 1174 times)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
Interesting Caracalla provincial..
« on: September 08, 2004, 04:12:50 pm »
Picture is lousy, but I don't have the coin in hand - still working on the attribution, but is that a weightlifter on reverse? :)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:Interesting Caracalla provincial..
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 05:38:12 pm »
Heather,
      It is Cilicia, Tarsus, Caracalla wearing wreath and robes of the demiourgos, the local priestly office that he assumed when passing through Cilicia in 214 or 215.  
       The obv. die is well known, e.g. SNG Levante 1057-9.  SNG Lev. 1058 also has an extract of your rev. type, namely the emperor togate sacrificing over altar.  
      Your coin adds the temple before which he is sacrificing, plus a victimarius swinging an ax (not a weightlifter!) to slay a sacrificial bull.  
       This expanded type must be rare, since it is not in SNG Levante, SNG Paris, SNG Aulock, SNG Righetti, or Ziegler's Cilician Coins in Smaller German Collections.
       I like provincial coins like this that make an important contribution to our knowledge of Roman imperial history! Only the coins prove that Caracalla became demiourgos at Tarsus and that he must have visited the city on his way to his Parthian campaign in 214-5.
Yours,
Curtis
Curtis Clay

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 05:42:42 pm »
Thank you curtis! :) I knew it was Tarsos, but that's about it. Now that you mention it, I suppose I can go with the slaying of the bull, although I liked my weightlifter theory better  ;D. Seriously though, thank you for checking. I checked my few references and those on the web and have not found it yet, although I did find the similar type you mentioned (sacrificing over altar).

I hadn't seen this exact type before!

Offline Automan

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Silver and Gold? -Yuck!
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 02:47:34 am »
I once owned this piece, which might be the emperor sacrificing over altar referred to above:

Auto

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Aeqvitas.com
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2004, 11:12:54 pm »
Here's the pic of the actual coin, which arrived today.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2004, 01:14:46 am »
Here's another victimarius coin.  Mine (another scan in Wildwinds) is Septimius, but it also exists for Geta and, I suppose, maybe for Caracalla.
Pat Lawrence
31 08 01 AE 29 (16.80g)  Thrace, Philippopolis.  Septimius Severus, laureate, bust to r.  Of his name, SEV clearly remains between 1:30 and 2:30.  Rev.,  on either side of a statue on a column, to the r. of which is a tripod altar, victimarius bringing bull for sacrifice to r. and the emperor pouring libation, facing l.  For the legend, part of the ethnic remains at right and traces of its continuation (presumably--there is a pi) in the exergue.  The ghost of a beautiful pair of dies.  The statue is clearer than appears in the scan.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity