Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coins or books?  (Read 6212 times)

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
Re: Coins or books?
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2007, 08:38:07 pm »
Go with the books --

Buy when you can FIND them - they are harder to find than coins in many cases!

Don't worry about the languages - you'll get by!  While I can read 5 languages, Spanish is NOT one one of them... yet I get by on my CAYON Spanish reference.

Nothing more frustrating than having coins and you can't identify them!  I have NEVER regretted buying a book.... (Of course, in 99% of cases, I never regret buying a COIN! ;D)

In my somewhat worthless opinion.... knowledge is worth as much as the coin. Plus, hours of enjoyment reading the book again and again!

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2007, 08:58:35 pm »
I am sure this topic has been covered ad nauseum here, but I am currently debating this myself. I'm looking at 500 dollars worth of references, and man I'd love to spend that on coins instead. How do you work out the justification of your purchases?

Doug

Books, but just when you need them. I find it pointless to go out and buy thousands  of dollars worth of books you won't use. Buy them when you have a focus.

Plus, hours of enjoyment reading the book again and again!

dpaul7

I can spend hours looking at a coin too  ;D

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2007, 03:22:11 am »

Books, but just when you need them. I find it pointless to go out and buy thousands  of dollars worth of books you won't use. Buy them when you have a focus.

The problem is that the book will go out of print when you need it and will no longer be available.  If you do find a copy of it, you will end up paying 3 to 5 times its cost as when it was still in print.  Just look at what Sellwood's Parthian coin book goes for now, or Shore's book on Parthian coins.  I bought them while in print for under $50US each.

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2007, 08:05:21 am »
I'd say (and I do not have unlimited budget, all the contrary!) why choose?
Go for both! I agree with the 10% (or whatever percentage you want to assign) of your budget for books.
What I'd do is get general references first based on major topics (Roman, Greeks, etc.) and if I know I have 2-3 subtiopics identified buy those books as well while in print, so you do not pay much more later.
Later on, when you have chosen a final subtopic (if any) then you can dispose those books of less interest if you will, and having an extra money for coins.

Douglas

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2007, 08:45:24 am »
I do consider histories a part of the collecting, and I've been reading them. Currently reading "Aurelian and the Third Century" by Alaric Watson. I have several volumes on Byzantine history, and other historical books covering various emperors, as well as the third century. Thing is, a 30 dollar book is easy to purchase, the numismatic references seem to run 100-300 dollars (or more), so it seems more difficult to commit to the purchase. I guess I just started this thread with the frustration of seeing a few very nice coins I'd like to add to my collection, and knowing I want some of these references as well. Decisions, decisions.... Unfortunately it looks like I'll be working a lot of overtime this summer, fortunately that will mean I'll have more extra spending money for coins AND books!

Doug

jamesicus

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2007, 05:48:03 pm »
In my opinion a good reference library is essential for full enjoyment of  the hobby and as a reliable way of validating your coins. I also collect antique arms and accoutrements -- it never ceases to amaze me that collectors will purchase a fine flintlock firearm for several thousand dollars yet will not invest seventy five dollars in a book that fully describes it and its place in history.

A cautionary note here based on personal experience:  be wary of disposing of books if your collecting specialization changes (as it often does throughout a collecting lifetime) -- you may find yourself returning to that specialization with renewed -- even intensified -- vigor and interest after many intervening years and wish you had those tried and true reference books at your disposal.

James

All coins are guaranteed for eternity