Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine NE AE Square 21.3g Coin Weight  (Read 1589 times)

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Byzantine NE AE Square 21.3g Coin Weight
« on: May 06, 2017, 01:10:27 pm »
I recently purchased this Byzantine square coin weight with NE on the obverse.  It weighs approximately 21.3g.  It measures approximately 25.61 mm by 26.69 mm by 3.9 mm.  I know very little about coin weights.  Is this a 5-nomismata commercial weight?  What is its approximate age?  I would appreciate any insight into this interesting weight.  Pogh_poor

All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: Byzantine NE Ae Square Coin Weight
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 12:33:14 am »
    Yes a five Nomisma weight E=5 nomisma of 4.26g each.

As far as dates, Chris Entwistle with the British Museum 2008 in Late Roman and Byzantine Weights and Weighing Equipment wrote that flat weights in a square seem to be the main type in the 5th and 6th century, in the 7th century weights in the form of flat discs became the prominent types. He documents a number on archeological sites with these consistencies. I have read similar dates elsewhere.

Before the 5/6th c the predominant roman/byzantine weight shape was a flattened sphere but produced up through the 6th c.

It is a Byzantine coin weight, not a commercial weight.

cw

Offline pogh_poor

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Byzantine NE Ae Square Coin Weight
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 03:28:08 pm »
Thank you for the helpful information about this interesting Byzantine coin weight.  Pogh_poor
All passes, Art alone Enduring stays to us; The Bust out-lasts the throne,-- The coin, Tiberius.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity