Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: DLN gone?  (Read 325 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
DLN gone?
« on: July 03, 2023, 06:26:00 pm »
Hi,

Digital Library Numis DLN seems to be either down or gone, can anyone else access it or post a live link please.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: DLN gone?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 02:12:45 am »
I have no idea what happened, but still in June there have been some updates: https://www.academia.edu/104069947/Acquisitions_Digital_Library_Numis_DLN_156_June_2023

Maybe we just need a bit of patience  :).

Regards

Altamura

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 08:29:45 am »
Sadly, Mauseus, you're correct.  Digital Library Numis has gone missing. 

It doesn't seem that long ago that I was perusing DLN.

Several sites reference DLN as the product of Thijs Verspagen.

There's some site transition underway at Google (not unheard of), as you can see here.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 11:02:36 am »
I am no longer surprised when amazing sites disappear forever.  Some of them I have found on the Way Back Machine Internet Archive. A few of my favorites I have copied and added to NumisWiki. Some without permission because I the original owner does not respond (and is often deceased). I am trying to find someone who wants to take over FORVM if I go unexpectedly. I would hate to see this site disappear.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 02:32:41 pm »
I agree with your take on web sites disappearing, Joe. I go back to the very beginnings in the early 1980s and I have had a few sites over the years on various topics, none still around. Reasons for that include the overall change in the Internet from people sharing their passions to the very money oriented Internet of today. This is always an issue with sites that are one person and cost more in money and time than may be brought in by the site. People get burnt out on it. Sometimes their interests change or they change jobs, lots of reasons. My issue usually became burnout combined with needing to actually make a living and there were times I was spending way too much time doing "nonproductive" things. Even today, many people expect web site development to be something anyone can do and do it for free. It would indeed be a shame if we lost Forum and Numiswiki and I would include the Forum Store in that, as well. I often wonder how you and Dane and others manage. Hopefully, your store makes this worth your time. I know I buy from you largely because I found the Forum before the store. That said, I would still use your store without the Forum, but the Forum keeps your store front and center in my coin world. In any case, thanks to you and Dane and all the others who maintain such sites.

And Happy 4th of July to the Americans out there.

Virgil

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 08:44:55 pm »
I believe Thijs moved his library to Scribd a couple of years ago:
https://www.scribd.com/publisher/10762729/Digital-Library-Numis-DLN
https://www.scribd.com/lists/2817535/Digital-Library-Numis-DLN

It's a pity actually because scribd are often extremely greedy and sometimes require you to upload 6 new items in order to be able to download one pdf... But it looks as though Thijs has not made that a requirement.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity