Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: In Search of Krzyzanowska Palmyre  (Read 100 times)

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
In Search of Krzyzanowska Palmyre
« on: February 06, 2024, 12:34:24 am »
Dear Board,

Does anyone have access to the following paper by the late Aleksandra Krzyżanowska or know of another recent reference on Palmyrene coinage?

Krzyzanowska, A. "Les monnaies de Palmyre: leur chronologie et leur rôle dans la circulation monétaire de la region" in Les monnayages Syriens, Beyrouth : Institut Français d 'Archéologie du Proche-Orient (IFAPO), 2002, pp. 167 - 173.

I would be very grateful for scans, photocopies, or even simple photographs of the above article if possible, since it is so short.

Many thanks in advance for any help or direction that can be provided! 

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: In Search of Krzyzanowska Palmyre
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2024, 08:03:01 am »
Hi,

I'm afraid I only have Krzyzanowska's paper "Le monnayage de Palmyre" from the Proceedings of the 9th International Congress of Numismatics, Berne September 1979 (IAPN Publication 7, 1982).

I've posted the typology table before on here I think. I've attached it below, if it helps, or were you after something specific?

Regards,

Rich

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2024, 01:31:29 pm »
Dear Richard & Board,

Thank you for your help.  Yes, I had come across that paper earlier.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Krzyzanowska%20Monnayage

I am guessing the page of drawings contains the only coin types discussed in the article?  In any event, I was hoping Krzyzanowska's later work was more comprehensive. 

As to specifics, yes, I am interested in researching the attached suspected Palmyrene issue (0.479 g., 10.1mm, 90°/3:00) for Joe.  I believe I have die-linked the reverse to an issue with a head of Tyche on the obverse which, for me, raises the same kind of question I have had with these sorts of coins for a while now.  A lot of them seem to be the imitative minimas of Caesarea Maritima rather than of Palmyrene origin.   

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2024, 01:36:54 pm »
Hello again Board,

By the way, a kind soul on Moneta-L offered to help with my research requests this morning!  I will post an update here if he is successful.  It will be nice just to have "Krzyzanowska Palmyre" on file.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan 

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 01:38:11 pm »
Sorry I can't help with the later paper. I don't think I've got anything later on Palmyra I'm afraid. I will look though and see if I can find the coin you've posted.

Cheers,

Rich

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2024, 01:42:19 pm »
Dear Richard (& Board),

Thank you, I do appreciate it!  In my own collection, I do have a couple or so coins that are more likely to be Palmyrene than Caesarean minimas (based on the iconography). 

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2024, 09:00:10 pm »
Mark,
I have an e-copy of A Survey of Roman Provincial Pseudo-autonomous Coins of the Levant
Author(s): JACK NURPETLIAN
Source: The Numismatic Chronicle (1966-), Vol. 177 (2017), pp. 307-311

I don't know if this might be of any use to you; if so, I can send an attachment.

Best,
Larry

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2024, 09:04:45 pm »
Dear Lawrence and Board,

Yes, and thank you!  It sounds very interesting!  I know Jack Nurpetlian (albeit not personally) from his Armenian studies.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2024, 09:26:23 pm »
Mark,
I can't figure out a way to attach a pdf to this board. If you could give me your email, I'll email it to you.
Best,
Larry

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2024, 09:28:12 pm »
Dear Lawrence,

Have a look in my member profile.  And thank you again!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Mark Fox

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2024, 02:01:40 pm »
Dear Richard, Lawrence, and Board,

An update:  I received scans of the article yesterday, courtesy of the University of Cincinnati Libraries.  The work is in French, but it is still rather easy to understand.  I was disappointed by the fact that the plate of drawings from Krzyzanowska's 1982 paper was reused without additions.  That said, if either of you would like a copy of the newer article for your own records, please drop me an e-mail via the address in my FORVM profile.

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan   

All coins are guaranteed for eternity