Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New security feature?  (Read 382 times)

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
New security feature?
« on: October 14, 2023, 05:53:00 pm »
I have noticed from time to time when visiting the galleries in the last couple of days that I am being asked if I am a robot and have to solve a puzzle to prove I am human before being allowed to proceed.
Is this a new security feature that FORVM has introduced?

Alex

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
Re: New security feature?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 05:59:31 pm »
I had that too and whenever I click on something to read, it goes to "Human Verifacation" and then transfers to the post I want to read.

Weird changes here, lately.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 08:48:14 pm »
Hmm, I sure did not ask for this "improvement." We have, however, had some recent DOS (Denial of Service) attacks, which are done using automated page requests to overwhelm the site and make it unusable. Sorin must have added this to stop them. If these things are too inconvenient, we can consider something else.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Online v-drome

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 01:16:38 am »
I would not mind once, but it is asking me when I press REPLY, and then asks again after I write something and press POST.  When I answer the test the second time it takes me back to the board and my post is gone!  I've started copying my comment before I press POST, so I can paste it back in instead of having to write it all over again.  It works fine on the second try, and also for subsequent posts in the same session.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know the spam has been a problem, so I am happy to do whatever is necessary!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 06:21:16 pm »
It's very annoying.  I'm asked to verify I'm a human with almost every click.  With a VPN turned on it refuses to give me the puzzle to solve, no matter which location it is set to.  The page also displays in French for some reason. 

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2023, 06:48:46 pm »
This new security feature has made navigating the boards cumbersome and wonky. I can understand having one when you' first log in, but to have it appear randomly after doing so is annoying!

Plus, as others have said, the site seems less stable with random errors occurring.

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2023, 06:53:08 pm »
This new security feature has made navigating the boards cumbersome and wonky. I can understand having one when you' first log in, but to have it appear randomly after doing so is annoying!

Plus, as others have said, the site seems less stable with random errors occurring.

It seems to be getting swept under the rug. I continue to have the issue and it's frustrating.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2023, 08:45:14 pm »
I just asked Sorin to change it. I am not sure how long it will take him.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2023, 10:22:11 pm »
Sorin turned it off.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2023, 10:24:30 pm »
Much better, thank you!
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2024, 05:34:26 pm »
I still get asked for it every once in a while, including yesterday and last Friday.

I have never answered it as I didn't know if it was official or some parasitic spear-phishing style attack.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2024, 05:08:34 pm »
It apparently only comes up if it suspects a VPN and it should not repeat again for the same IP.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2024, 06:56:58 pm »
Maybe it keeps coming up for me as I have never completed it.  I always just end my session when it comes up.  Now that I know it is legit I have no problem doing it next time it appears.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2024, 02:33:22 am »
I am probably uninformed on things these days, but I thought a VPN was a good idea to attempt to protect privacy in the world of today's Internet, particularly the United States, where we have the weakest privacy protections. But, when I used it, most sites I used didn't work any longer, including Forum. I turned off the VPN and wasted my money on it. I finally just gave up trying to protect myself because if one is on the Internet today or has a smartphone, you just have to accept you have no privacy. That said, please never implement a captcha where you have to pick pictures out of a matrix or input a string of letters and numbers you can't read. LOL They have captchas where all you have to do is check a box that says you are human.

Virgil

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 07:52:29 pm »
I have never believed privacy is actually possible. At least not for me with an online business. I just hope nobody with that ability hates me enough to use it.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity