Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Ugly Duckling OTD!  (Read 1957 times)

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Ugly Duckling OTD!
« on: April 10, 2006, 02:04:39 pm »
Hi,

I have, as I suppose many collectors of Roman coins have, an idea that I will put together a “gallery” of imperial personages either as a main collection or, as in my case, a side collection. There are times when, in order to add to such a collection, a compromise on quality has to be made, particularly when considering some of the rarer personages.

That, then, is how I arrived at this specimen (dealer pic, waiting for it to drop through the door), an As of Manlia Scantila. The condition is only fair at best but her name is at least readable and the portrait not too bad. The reverse type is IVNO REGINA SC (RIC 19a, R4).

I was, at first, a little disappointed that it was the small bronze rather than the large but, it would seem, that the As is scarcer than the Sestertius (18 Sestertii on Wildwinds, no Ases); and the condition, well, it is not that far removed from the specimen in the Hunter collection in Glasgow (with my rose tinted spectacles at least), the monochrome scan of which is also below.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Ugly Duckling OTD!
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2006, 02:20:18 pm »
Hi Mauseus!

I was waiting for you to post that coin here. I should have told you before that it was the as, then you might have left it to me - I was the second bidder :(. The chances to get an as of Scantilla are really slim. One specimen on Coinarchives.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 02:31:33 pm »
Since Didius struck only sestertii and dupondii for himself, his MB for Scantilla and Clara too will be dupondii not asses.  This is always confirmed by metal color too as far as I know.
Yes, the dupondii of this reign are much rarer than the sestertii.  Usually, sestertii are more sought after than MB of the same type so fetch more even if the MB are rarer, but not in this case: the sest. gets 50 francs in Cohen, the dupondius 200 francs!
Similarly for Didius, 30 francs vs. 80, and Clara, 50 vs. 300.
The BM spec. too, pl. 4.9, is hardly better than yours.  Yours, Glasgow, BM all seem to be from the same pair of dies, confirming the rarity.
Curtis Clay

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 02:39:49 pm »
Hi,

Sorry Rupert! I'd watched it all the way through the auction but only in the last couple of hours decided to make a play for it. I thought that the price would shoot at the end and I would miss out but, apparently, not.

Curtis, thank-you. I noted RIC called these Dupondii or Asses and I will follow your advice when I label this specimen. Thank-you also for confirming the die linkage, I was hoping you would come in on this.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2006, 03:08:31 pm »
I recently also compromised on quality to get an example of a "rare" emperor. So right on cue here is my Sestertius of Didius Julianus.

Obv. Laureate head of Emperor right. IMP. CAES. M. DID. SEVER. IVLIAN AVG.
Rev. Julianus togate, standing left, holding globe, SC around. RECTOR ORBIS

RIC 16

At 16.5 gms, the weight is quite low. Perhaps he had to make them lighter so that each Praetorian guard could carry off his 25,000!
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

virtvsprobi

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2006, 03:50:54 pm »
Mauseus,

While scratchy, I think this Manlia is otherwise not that ugly as a coin.
I demand you leave the ugly duckling category at once! Ha, ha! ;D

G/<

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2006, 02:35:06 pm »
Today, her husband went unnoticed (almost) on British Ebay; a British dealer bought this coin for 34 pounds. I found the condition of the coin too mediocre to pay even that.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2006, 05:35:52 pm »
Yes Mauseus, well done.
I too had my eyes on the coin but I got the finish time wrong  :(
Though I doubt I would have topped your price. I must post the Julianus dupondius I got the other month to go with Scantilla  ;D
A nice coin and not really an ugly duckling tho' no-one can accuse Scantilla of being blessed in the beauty department. Unlike the delightful Didia Clara whom I seem to remember reading somewhere was regarded as one of the most beautiful women of her day.
Again congrats,
Adrianus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2006, 04:51:09 am »
Adrianus,

I thought I might have also tempted you to post your Didia Clara sestertius!

Re the price; the auction did finish about midnight UK time on a Friday night and, after a night out on the beers with the lads, the wallet seemed to open rather easily!

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2006, 05:29:20 pm »
As you no doubt remember, the only recognisable features about my Didia Clara are the back of the lady's head and the letters DID... at the start of the legend. The one good thing about my coin is that no-one can see what an ugly duckling she really is... ;D
Cheers,
A

Offline Roma_Orbis

• Consul
  • ad avgvsta per angvsta
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 04:59:05 am »
Hi Mauseus,

Great find! I hadn't noticed it. I don't recall having seen ever one for sale in fairs or in auctions. I managed to find a nice Didus Julianus Dup., a rather poor Pertinax As, but no Manlia or Didia Clara. These mid bronzes, though less sought after, are quite rarer than the sestertii!

Jérôme

All coins are guaranteed for eternity