Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Red Slip Ware Pottery Fragment with Impressed Wreath Design Caesarea Maritima  (Read 148 times)

Offline v-drome

• Caesar
Hi, all.  Wondering if anyone can tell me more about this fragment.  It is thinner and harder than my other red-slip frags, with a distinct "ring" when lightly dropped on a table.  My reference resources are very limited, but I found a similar decorative technique in the British Museum collection (see below), but very different, otherwise.  Any corrections or additions to my description and date appreciated.  Thanks, Jimi

BCC CG44
Roman Pottery Fragment Caesarea Maritima
1st-5th century CE?
Rim and wall fragment of a thin, delicately formed Roman terracotta
red-slip bowl.  Decorated with a double row of impressed, kidney-shaped
leaf designs, resembling a wreath encircling the vessel half-way between
the rim and the base.  These depressions are visible as slight protrusions
on the interior of the piece.  The lip is augmented with a 1.1cm. wide band
divided by an incised double groove.  There is a faint corresponding groove
on the interior of the rim.  Moulded, wheel made and incised, the interior
and exterior surfaces are marked with fine horizontal striations.  There is a
slight angularity near the bottom of the wall as it transitions into the base. 
The matrix is a fine-grained, light reddish-tan clay with minor porosity.  Ringing
sound when dropped. 5.0 x 3.8 x 0.3cm. (rim 0.6cm.)  9.64gm.
Surface find from Caesarea Maritima, 1970's
(click for larger pic)

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/G_1999-0427-2

All coins are guaranteed for eternity