Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help to Identify Coins bought in Petra (1)  (Read 5796 times)

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
Help to Identify Coins bought in Petra (1)
« on: September 26, 2016, 01:52:33 am »
Hello,

I bought a couple coins from some Bedouin in Petra and I know that there are a lot of fake tourist coins sold there. So I wanted to see if these are real and if so identify them?
 I have a feeling they aren't fake though as they would be in better condition.

I have come pretty close to identifying the this one by the Mint Mark. I know it was cast in Cyzicus and must be somewhere in the time of Constantine.  Which would make sense since Cyzicus isn't too far from Petra.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
Re: Help to Identify Coins bought in Petra (1)
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 01:55:15 am »
Sorry double post. I Fixed it.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 02:24:03 am »

Obverse seems to read: FL IVL DELMATIVS NOB C.

Pekka K

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016, 02:53:24 am »
Or I am thinking this one maybe?

Delmatius AE4. 336-337 AD. FL IVL DELMATIVS NOB C, laureate, cuirassed bust right / GLORIA EXERCITVS, two helmeted soldiers standing facing each another, holding spears and shields, one standard between them. Mintmark SMKΓ. Cohen 8. RIC VII Cyzicus 132; Sear 16900.

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2016, 03:24:30 am »
According to this article his coins seems to be a bit rare? Edited by admin ?  

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Delmatius

Offline Arados

• Comitia Curiata
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2016, 03:57:30 am »
It is against the rules to ask for values here, if you are unsure about FORVM rules please follow the link provided.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=18398.0

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016, 04:28:55 am »
I guess what I want to ask is; what is the rarity of this coin?

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2016, 04:55:02 am »
RIC VII, Cyzikus 131 is rated as r5 (= unique). But this volume is published 1966, long before the fall of the Iron Curtain.

Best regards

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2016, 12:29:16 pm »
Hi thanks! I am new to ancient coins (since I bought these), I am learn quite a bit about the lingo :). But what do you mean by "long before the fall of the Iron Curtain" and how would that effect rarity?

Thanks!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2016, 12:51:33 pm »
Hi thanks! I am new to ancient coins (since I bought these), I am learn quite a bit about the lingo :). But what do you mean by "long before the fall of the Iron Curtain" and how would that effect rarity?

Thanks!

Coins which are typically found in eastern Europe became much more common after 1990. It wasn't possible to export coins to the west when the Iron Curtain stopped trade. Once the Iron Curtain fell, there was a very large increase in exports of coins from eastern Europe. This was also helped by metal detectors becoming much more common. As a result, types which were previously considered very rare in the west world have become relatively common today. This especially affected late Roman bronzes and Roman eastern provincial bronzes, because such coins had hardly been collected by anyone before the fall of the Iron Curtain (because they were simply not available), and were typically missing from museum collections, which are usually used as indicators of rarity.

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2016, 01:16:41 pm »
Very cool. Thanks!

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2016, 09:10:07 pm »
You should post better close ups if you can.  I examined several handfuls of coins being offered for sale at Petra when I was there about 7 or 8 years ago.  They were a mix of fakes and low quality originals.  A decent quality Delmatius such as this from there raises suspicions.  Could be a modern cast copy.  Not saying for sure that it is but it warrants being checked out.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Emilia M

• Praetorian
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 05:53:45 pm »
Hmm interesting. I'm have a feeling it's real though, cause she grabbed handfull of her good coins from the back and this one was the best example, all the rest where of way worse quality. So I don't know if she'd just have a random fake in her collection?

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2016, 12:19:01 pm »
I am afraid that that is exactly what they do.  Genuine but poor condition coins and nicer looking fakes go into the same pot/box/pick-bin/handful, etc.  Not just at Petra but I have seen that same technique in the flea markets of Central Europe.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity