Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need a rig for iPhone 12  (Read 208 times)

Offline Tacitus

• Caesar
Need a rig for iPhone 12
« on: June 21, 2023, 06:04:06 pm »
I am looking to image a bunch of coins and only have an iPhone 12.  Is there a stand of way to get the coins at the same distance?   Looking for advice.

Thanks

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Need a rig for iPhone 12
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 08:53:33 pm »
I’m a terrible photographer but I can say that I ditched the tripod early on with my iPhone and get crisper shots now.

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2023, 01:07:41 am »
Hi Tact,

I agree with Nick. Ditch the tripod.

I also don't have a digital camera. For many years, I used an old iPhone 4 to shoot all of my coin photos. In the last 1-2 years, I transitioned to using an Android phone for my coin photos. A tripod isn't necessary.

Meepzorp

Offline Anaximander

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2023, 08:00:37 am »
You need a Cosmo Mini 100. Less than a C-note on Amazon.  Take your results to a pro-level!

Be sure to watch the video  :laugh:.

There's a thread here showing the larger Cosmo Mini 500.
Anaximander Barypous
Member since 2019.
FAC Member Gallery

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2023, 01:18:21 pm »
That stand looks like an ideal solution for using any phone. My low tech solution for my android phone is to use a copy stand with lights mounted. I then use a stack of books to position the phone at a good height above the coin. The phone has 3/4 on the books, with the lens portion sticking out. This helps keep the phone steady. My only real problem is having side lighting that produces some shadows near coin edges. Removing the background is possible, but too time consuming for my tastes (I use The GIMP), so I don't do it. I also find that the actual images degrade in quality the more the zoom is used. And all my photos require post processing adjustments, to include cropping, levels corrections, and putting the two sides into one image and then reducing the size so I can meet Gallery upload requirements. I also have a digital SLR with an extension tube and am still trying to decide which method is better (SLR or phone). My current phone, a Galaxy S23 Ultra, has one of the best cameras on the market and I am still not totally sold on using it. Your iPhone 12 should have an excellent camera.

Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity