Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New Additions!  (Read 1187 times)

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
New Additions!
« on: February 04, 2012, 01:00:59 pm »
Hello friends,

I've added a few new coins in the Roman Republic collection recently (as well as in other areas) and I've also been working on updating pictures and descriptions.  So I thought I'd invite you all to take a look.  I've added a few preview pieces to this post but many more await.

Best regards,
Matt

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=28100

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
Re: New Additions!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 01:14:53 am »
very nice collection I like the Pegasus stater, though worn it has a wonderful sense of style.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3538&pos=1

is the boar part of the original coin or a bankers mark?

cw

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 04:04:39 am »
an excellent collection SPQR, and i especially like your impressive Republican gallery.
you have put together an interesting grouping of artistic styles without the ubiquitous Roma/quadriga types. very nice!

~ Peter

Offline Matt Inglima

• Caesar
  • Quid, me anxius sum?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 04:38:30 pm »
very nice collection I like the Pegasus stater, though worn it has a wonderful sense of style.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=3538&pos=1

is the boar part of the original coin or a bankers mark?

cw

Thanks to both Wileyc and Enodia for your kind words.

As for the boar on the obverse of the stater, it is a part of the original coin.  Staters of the period had many different objects in the field.  I'm not exactly sure what purpose it served being there.  If I had to guess I would say they were used as a control mark of some kind.  But that is just a guess.

Best regards,
Matt
(formerly SPQR Coins)

Offline Enodia

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 04:41:22 pm »
i like the new name.   8) 

~ Peter

Offline Optimo Principi

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 05:13:18 pm »
Super collection with excellent photography, Matt - first class presentation all round. It takes alot of expertise to collect from such a variety of eras, well done and keep it up!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity