Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: 20mm Æ for ID  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
20mm Æ for ID
« on: April 29, 2016, 09:58:38 pm »
Hi all,
I bought a lot of 10 provincial coins on a lark that I knew would be rough but for the price, I thought they may be fun. After receiving them, I'm finding that there just isn't even enough there for me to get a start on identifying most of them.

I'll be posting many of them for ID and appreciate your help! Thank you!

Josh

20mm
No weight available
I don't have a clue for this one, terrible condition. Thank you!

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
Re: 20mm Æ for ID
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2016, 02:51:18 am »
Revisiting this one... because I'm stubborn and sometimes I find junk coins that elude identification are more interesting than nice coins.

Anyway, another clue!

The left obverse looks like it could be something like... CLAV or "C I  :Greek_Pi_3: V"

So maybe Claudius?

20mm
3.78g

See photo.

Anyway, any help on this puzzle would be great!

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 04:16:35 am »
Maybe a pseudo autonomous issue. Can you make out any of the reverse legend?

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2016, 04:21:39 am »
Your coin is a so-called "pseudo-autonomous" issue (i.e. a coin from the Roman Imperial time but without emperor's head on the obverse) from Magnesia ad Sipylum in Lydia. The obverse shows the mountain-god Sipylos with the legend CIΠVΛOC, while the reverse legends reads as MAΓNHTΩN. I am not completely sure about the reverse type, possibly Demeter with poppies and corn-ears or Isis holding Sistrum.

The lack of an emperor's head often (but not always) makes pseudo-autonomous coins difficult to date. Based upon the style and types I would think that yours is from the 2nd Century AD.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Jschulze

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2016, 04:31:01 am »
Wow! Thanks Pscipio! I was kind of figuring this one may just stay a mystery due to the poor condition. That gives me some interesting information to find tomorrow.

I'm finally calling it a night here but may return with an update tomorrow if I find a like coin with your great info. Thank you again! Thanks to you too Bianca'sDad.

Josh

All coins are guaranteed for eternity