Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philippus  (Read 1160 times)

Offline Marcus Aurelius

• Caesar
  • AVE CAESAR!MORITURI TE SALUTAMUS
Philippus
« on: December 13, 2008, 07:42:22 am »
Hello
I have question about this coin.Is it Viminacium mint?
Thank you

Offline Glenn Simonelli

• Consul
    • Home Page
Re: Philippus
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 08:07:54 am »
No. It is from Dacia. Moushmov 2. Your coin has AN III in the reverse exergue rather than AN II, but it is the same type.

Google "Moushmov" to get to the Wildwinds online version of "Coins of the Balkan Penninsula" by Nikola Moushmov. Click on the "Dacia" link and your will find your coin.

Glenn Simonelli
Glenn Simonelli
http://feltemp.com

lazooro

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2008, 09:12:30 am »
easy to see PROVINCIA DACIA

Offline Marcus Aurelius

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2008, 10:47:19 am »
Thanks
Yes it is easy to see,but in spite of that my friend claim that those coins are also minted in Viminacium.
I hope this topic will change his mind  :D
Thank you again

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2008, 10:59:02 am »
It´s quite obvious that these coins had been produced by the same engravers or even minted in the same mint like the Viminacium bronze issues.

regards

Offline Glenn Simonelli

• Consul
    • Home Page
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 03:57:00 pm »
I guess the answer depends on the specific question that your friend asked. The coin was intended for use in Dacia. And it's possible, maybe even likely, that they were produced at the same mint that produced coins for Viminacium. But to my knowledge, the specific location of that mint is not known.

Glenn Simonelli
Glenn Simonelli
http://feltemp.com

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 05:23:51 pm »
This really is a simple question.  Think of kids' stamp collections.  In the 1940s, the leaflet they sent with a starter collection said that most of the beautiful stamps of many countries were printed in Switzerland.  A Cameroon stamp is not a Swiss stamp.  Cameroon issued it and had the stamps printed in Switzerland.  If the Dacian and Moesia Superior coins all were minted in one place, still they were issued by Viminacium and Dacia.
Pat L.

Offline Marcus Aurelius

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 02:17:59 am »
I live near Viminacium and i know for that mint,but i never heard about Dacia mint.Do they mint any other kind of coins in Dacia?Do they have mint in Dacia in Roman time?
Although you think it is very simple question i still don`t know the answer.... :laugh:

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 02:27:15 am »
I live near Viminacium and i know for that mint,but i never heard about Dacia mint.Do they mint any other kind of coins in Dacia?Do they have mint in Dacia in Roman time?
Although you think it is very simple question i still don`t know the answer...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dacia

be a good start
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 02:36:01 am »
The "simple" question is the one that Glenn raised: whether coins manufactured in one place but issued by and for another place can be considered as of that other place, as the postage stamps produced in Switzerland for other nations are.
The 3rd-century bronze coins of Dacia (AMNG I, 1, pp. 1-20) really are extremely similar to the Viminacium coins of Moesia Superior, not only in their portrait styles and the legions-based reverse types but in their fabric.  I do not know whether Dacia had its own minting factory.  If the governor of Dacia authorized the issue of the coins, they are Dacian coins.  Someone who has studied them in depth can perhaps say where they actually were produced.  The land that is now Romania certainly had the metallurgical traditions requisite to making coins.  In fact, I am more certain of the advanced metallurgy of the Dacian region than of that farther up the Danube in this period.  Do you know where the Viminacium coins were actually fabricated?  I agree with Arminius, they seem all to have been made in one place.  Was this in Moesia Superior or in Dacia?  Do we know?  Naturally, the Dacia coins are found mostly in Romania and the Viminacium-inscribed (issued by Viminacium) ones in Serbia and, I guess, also in Hungary.  Where have the sites of fabrication been excavated? 
Pat L.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 11:03:04 am »
A coin is of the place of its issuing authority and circulation.
The US, Canada, Britain and other nations have historically minted coinage for many other nations and private mints in the US regularly strike coinage for third world countries. Obviously, these coins are considered to be from the issuing nation, the one in which they are recognized as legal tender, not from the US or Canada or whatever nation they were actually struck in.
Quite elementary, I daresay!
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity