Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Head of Serapis Thread  (Read 2313 times)

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
Head of Serapis Thread
« on: February 15, 2006, 11:45:58 pm »
I believe there was a thread regarding the meaning of the Genius of Rome holding Serapis' head... and I seem to have lost it. Anybody know where it went? Or is this just something my mind has created in an attempt to frustrate me?

Evan

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Head of Serapis Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 12:04:29 am »
Well, Joe kindly mounted my short article on color and mixed media in images on coins.  I'll go get the link.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/forvm/Collectors_Resources.html
The coin (or at least one such coin) is illustrated there.  Pat L.
But I bet what you want is this super-thread:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=24736.0

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 08:40:26 am »
From what I remember, it seemed to be linked with the custom of carrying busts of one's honoured ancestors in processions. It's certainly an interesting one, with the contrast to the later custom of displaying the bloody heads of executed traitors on Tower Bridge!
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 03:05:54 am »
Thank you both! Pat, your article is, as always, a true pleasure to read!

Evan

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 08:44:16 am »
There is a further useful discussion of these heads at
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/reverse_heads.html
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 09:28:33 am »
I'm not sure that the Genius of Rome (genius populi Romani) was ever depicted holding the head of Serapis, though both Sol and the Genius of Augustus were sometimes so pictured, both shown on the useful page previously noted, descriptively titled "Heads in Hands":
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/moonmoth/reverse_heads.html

A good excerpt on Genius from Stevenson's Dictionary of Roman Coins:
GENIVS EXERCITI.  The Genius of the Army.---Du Choul, in his observations on this and the various other numismatic dedications to Genius, says, "The ancients esteemed it to be the God of Nature.  And such was the religion of the Romans that it assigned to every man his genius and his presiding spirit.  Thus we find inscriptions to the Genius of the Emperor, of the Senate, of the Roman People, and (as in Aurelian and others) of the Army.  This last named legend is accompanied by a type portraying the image of Genius , with a cloak half covering the shoulders, and leaving the rest of the body naked, holding a conucopiae in one hand, and a simplum or a patera in the other.  Censorinns, in his treatise De Die Natali, says, that the moment we are born, we live under the guard and tutelage of Genius.  Other writers asser that the Lares and Genius were the same thing.  (pp. 148, 149).
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/NumisWiki/view.asp?key=GENIVS%20EXERCITI
(this entry does not mention the kalathos / basket headgear included in later depictions of these genii; like the basket headgear of Serapis himself, this suggests an abundance of life-force or power in reserve)

And a further remark on Serapis / Osir-Apis:
Serapis (sometimes Sarapis) was introduced about 300 BC to Alexandria as god of the state by Ptolemaeus I Soter (305-284 BC), known as the founder of the famous Alexandrian library too. He built the big Serapeion in Alexandria and the famous sculptor Bryaxis created the statue of Serapis: Also a venerable man with modius (Greek. kalathos, not polos!) on his head, holding sceptre, the three-headed Cerberus / Kerberos at his feet. Full beard and mighty hair let him look like Zeus, and reminds on Pluton. He was a syncretistic (= mixed up) deity und should unify the Greek and the Egyptian religions, so connecting the people of the East with the people of the West, an important objective of the Hellenism. His name was derived from Apis-Osiris, a god of grain, fertility and wealth too. He was melted with Asklepios, the god of healing, with Dionysos, of whom he got the secret consecrations, with Pluto, as god of the underworld, then with Zeus, and yes, with Christus, as sole god and creator of the world. The last time his cult was promoted by Julian II, who sometimes called himself Deus Serapidis.
AD 389 Theophilus, bishop of Alexandria, destroyed the Serapeion, probably by order of Theodosius, and with this event the time of paganism was gone for ever.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=cafec36afa5f5656e0298107f9e46770&topic=25089.25

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 09:50:32 am »
I'm not sure that the Genius of Rome (genius populi Romani) was ever depicted holding the head of Serapis, though both Sol and the Genius of Augustus were sometimes so pictured

Genio Pop. Rom. is also shown holding the head of Serapis on RIC VII Alexandria 2-5, which was one of the first types issued by Licinius after he killed Maximinus II and took over his mints. Maximinus had issued this with the Genio Avgvsti legend, and Licinius changed it to Genio Pop. Rom. It's quite a scarce type - more so than the RIC ratings might indicate (Cohen prices it at 10F); apart from my own, below, I've only seen one other in the last couple of years on eBay.

Ben

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 10:30:42 am »
Thanks for this useful followup, Ben, complete with the RIC ref. for Licinius;  do you also have the RIC ref. for the Constantine shown in your scan?

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 10:41:30 am »
Hi archivum,
This exists with two mintmarks, ALE and ALE dot.

The RIC numbers are:

ALE
2 = Constantine
3 = Licinius

ALE dot
4 = Constantine (my coin)
5 = Licinius

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity