Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Faustina Junior Sestertius fake ?  (Read 1079 times)

sledge

Faustina Junior Sestertius fake ?
« on: January 19, 2008, 10:07:07 am »
This coin match to the following reference:
Faustina Junior. Augusta . Hilaritas Sestertius RIC III 1642.

24.73 grs
30    mm
4.3   mm thickness

There are some parallel lines on the face, a sort of gray hole on the
right bottom hand side and a bold line following the front part of the face.

Is it a guenuine or a fake ?
How can you comment all of these clues ?
what do you think ?

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Faustina Junior Sestertius fake ?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 02:48:22 pm »
It is no doubt a genuine coin, but the facial traits have been accentuated (tooled).

Frans

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 03:44:22 pm »
It is no doubt a genuine coin, but the facial traits have been accentuated (tooled).

Frans
I'm no expert, but I'm not convinced of that Frans.  There appears to be some original crud and patina in the bits highlighted, and the detail depth here doesn't appear to different to the facial area.  Also whilst I agreee it has been scraped around the outline of the face, the chin appears too "ragged" to have been tooled.
Happy to be proven wrong

sledge

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2008, 03:29:48 am »
Thanks for these first answers. It is really interesting to discuss on our coins...

Sorry but I am french and I have some problems to really understand everything (... in english) .

My understanding is that this coin is genuine and you think that it has not been tooled.

Is it right ?

If so, I am still wondering if the gray hole is a good or a bad indication.

If this coin is assumed to be made in bronze, I am quite surprise to see this color in the underneath layer.

Finally, what do you think about its condition and value ?

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2008, 04:29:03 am »
My personal opinion, based on the photographic image, is that it has been so crudely cleaned that it might as well have been deliberately tooled: what was done was done with a sharp tool, so...
As for what one wants, chacun à son goût.  If you think it's lovely, soit!
My French is not so good, either.  D'un sesterce en mauvais état, il est devenu une ruine.
Pat L.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2008, 06:53:31 am »
Hi sledge

I too think it has been tooled (damaged should I say).
If you feel uncomfortable with english, you might post into the french section of forum, which is not as lively as the anglosaxon, but where you can find some help. Some members might also help you in translating what causes you trouble.

Ce qui donne, a peu pres, en francais :
Je pense moi aussi qu'elle a été regravée (detruite devrais je dire)
Si tu as des problemes avec l'anglais, tu peux poster dans la partie francaise du forum, qui est certes moins vivace que la partie anglosaxone, mais ou tu pourras obtenir de l'aide. Certains membres peuvent egalement t'aider a traduire ce qui te pose des difficultés

Regards
Potator

All coins are guaranteed for eternity