Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine References  (Read 6782 times)

acv

Byzantine References
« on: April 17, 2004, 09:35:06 pm »
The Sear books are perfectly suitable for Greek, Roman, and Byzantine coinage for basic attribution.  Then Greek coins have the SNG and Romans have the BMC and RIC.  Do Byzantine coins have another deeper reference as well?  Or do they fall into the Kushan, Sasanian, Parthian, Celtic group of partially documented types.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re:Byzantine References
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2004, 10:46:42 pm »
After Sear get the DOC Volumes. The Dumbarton Oakes Publications.  This is one of the most up to date refrence books. Five Volumes total and A big sum of $ if you get them all ( They are about $200.00 each).

http://www.doaks.org/index.html
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

acv

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2004, 11:11:37 pm »
Thank You for the tip.  By the time one has acquired all the reference material for a numismatic library there is very little left for coins.

bruce61813

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 01:28:30 pm »
Thank You for the tip.  By the time one has acquired all the reference material for a numismatic library there is very little left for coins.
 Welcome to the club! I have probably spent as much on references as coins, and still have gaps!

Bruce

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 02:15:59 pm »
Quote from: bruce61813 on April 20, 2004, 01:28:30 pm
 Welcome to the club! I have probably spent as much on references as coins, and still have gaps!

Bruce

I have spent almost every dollar FORVM has made over the last five years on references and still have gaps!  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Severus_Alexander

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 03:59:56 pm »
It's tough for a dealer as they need to cover so many areas and need references for them all.

The more you as a collector can specialize on a very particular area, the better your budget for references will go.  With a specilaity in place, you can better decide if a reference will really help you.   As a collector who specializes in Severus Alexander coinage, I ask to find out how many Severus Alexander coins are noted in the reference before I buy it.  Imperial Coinage references are pretty specific by Emperor but Provincial Coinage is usually by region.   Asking how many coins for your area of speciality can stop you from buying a reference only to find one or two coins that interest you listed.

Thank you.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2004, 07:05:18 pm »
Specializing does help but It still amazes me on how much you can spend just to learn a little more. From catalogs that are in French to my next aquisistion a book just so I see the reffrences the older collectors are using. I am trying to raise $325.00 to do just that.  It never seems to end  :)
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Severus_Alexander

• IMPERATOR
  • Praetorian
  • Hail Hail Severus Alexander!!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 12:43:19 pm »
References are expensive and can take time to get.   Give yourself time and collect them as you can.  Compare, compare, compare prices.  There can be large differences in prices for references.   I found one super out of print reference at an used book store online for a third of the cost other places.   They had no idea what it was worth.  Check the auction sites, dealer sites, and search engines.   Also ask on forums like this where the best deal is on a reference.  If you find a good deal from one dealer see if buying others will also get you a break on others or even shipping.  Make the most of your reference budget.

Thank you.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2004, 02:42:14 pm »
Compare, compare, compare prices.  There can be large differences in prices for references...Make the most of your reference budget.

Thank you.

Bah humbug, just buy them. :)   I have never been very thrifty.  But now it is impossible.  When I find a reference I need, I buy immediatly.  Most of what I need now is very hard to find.  The good news is rare classical numismatic references generally increase in value.  So, they are an investment.   ;)

Sear Byzantine really is quite good.  You may find a more specific attribution in DO for a legend or other variation, but almost all types are adequately described (for all but the most specialized collectors) in Sear.   For the early empire it is about at the same level as the new multi-volume Sear's Roman Coins and Their Values.  For the late Byzantine bronze it is a challenge to ID some coins with Sear.  

Off topic for this board but, Sear's Greek and Greek Imperial refs are not nearly as useful.  There are just so many more types that a single or even two volume reference can only scratch the surface.  Even the 29 volumes of BMC, three volumes of Lindgren, 9 volumes of SNG Cop, 3 volumes of Von Aulock plus Sear (the basic references) don't cover them.  
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

acv

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2004, 12:57:39 pm »
References are expensive and can take time to get.   Give yourself time and collect them as you can.  Compare, compare, compare prices.  There can be large differences in prices for references.   I found one super out of print reference at an used book store online for a third of the cost other places.   They had no idea what it was worth.  Check the auction sites, dealer sites, and search engines.   Also ask on forums like this where the best deal is on a reference.  If you find a good deal from one dealer see if buying others will also get you a break on others or even shipping.  Make the most of your reference budget.

Thank you.

I've started to compile a list of which books I want and the typical prices when available.  I thinK I'll also add in a general rarity factor so if I see something that doesn't pop up much I can focus on it first.  Right now the top three are the Sear Byzantine and then the SNS and the OP Micthciner Vol 2.

Douglas

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2004, 03:43:42 pm »
I have David Sear's Byzantine  book on order, and I am looking forward to it's arrival. I am glad to hear that it is a good book for the Byzantine collector. I also have a copy of Harlan Berk's "Eastern Roman Successors of the Sestarius". It has line drawings of the coins which can be useful with these coins. I think it was 20 bucks well spent.  I might consider the Dumbarton Oakes references if I get even further into the Byzantine coins. I have about 150 I need to clean and attribute first.  ;)

Offline vercingetorix

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2004, 05:02:59 pm »
Try MIB Moneta Imperii Byzantini by Wolfgang Hahn. It just might be the best.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2004, 06:58:08 am »
The  MIB Moneta Imperii Byzantini  from what I have read and V's recomindation is excellent.  It is perfect for Early Byzantine studies ( it ends in mid empire.) Does anyone know if an English translation is available?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity