Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine IV Decanummium - Sear 1183B?  (Read 1277 times)

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Constantine IV Decanummium - Sear 1183B?
« on: May 13, 2008, 04:56:51 am »
Hello Everyone,

I want to know if I have the attribution right as Sear 1183B.  I don't see a cross at the top on the reverse, just the border.  Also, what's the story on the exergual line if there's no :C::Greek_Omicron::Greek_Nu: beneath it?  I couldn't find any other examples of 1183B online.

Measurements:  3.95g; 21.2mm; 195°

Thanks,

Kevin  :)

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Re: Constantine IV Decanummium - Sear 1183B?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 11:18:58 am »
It looks like Grierson 394, Constantine IV 668-85AD, Decanummium Class 1, Constantinople.   Obv Emperor facing with Gl. Cr. in right (Shield L?), Rx large I above empty exergue, cross to left R to right...Grierson says these may be the result of an inflationary reevaluation of the money due to Constantinople being under constant siege by the Arabs at the time, with these taking the literal value of the half folles...as many as seven variant forms of the decanummia during this time period have been noted, mostly delineated by the emperors bust, whether facing, or 3/4...hope this helps...b
Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 12:19:11 pm »
I think Pep has it right, being 1183b. That is a curious issue why they would have a exergue line yet nothing underneath it.

cw

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 01:09:35 am »
Thanks to you both!

I'm pretty sure he's holding a spear behind his head with his right hand though.

petzlaff

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:37:30 pm »
absolutely right with the spear

BTW: a beautiful coin of the period which is characterized by a major mint reform which doubled the worth of the Dekanummion to be Half Follis (they marked it with the "K" for Half Follis beside the "I" for Deka).

Stefan

Offline Pep

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 01:59:40 am »
Thanks Stefan!

I guess the :Greek_Kappa: would also double as his name?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity