Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Plated As of Augustus, magnetic  (Read 938 times)

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
Plated As of Augustus, magnetic
« on: August 20, 2006, 03:10:48 pm »
Hi,

this is an copper-plated coin. It's magnetic, so the core seems to contain iron.

I have read about badly corroded, unattributable roman subferrati found in austria, but I wasn’t able to find more information at all about fourrees with iron-core in the internet.

Plated denarii are relatively common, but I would love to see more examples of plated bronze-coins, if there are any, and to get more information about them.

Stefan

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Plated As of Augustus, magnetic
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 04:54:15 pm »
By magnetic, do you mean that it attracts other iron objects, or it is attracted to a magnet?

If it is attracted to a magnet, it is likely just to mean that there is some iron in its mix.  I have many coins like that, mostly quite ordinary late Roman bronzes.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline quisquam

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 06:07:05 am »
The Coin is attracted  by a magnet, similarly heavy as modern, iron-cored copper-coins, so there must be a lot of iron in it.

This coin is from a batch of badly corroded ancient metal-discs I bought to experiment with. This one had extremely hard crusts, which couldn't be removed even with a steel-scalpell. After filing the edge a little I saw a dark core, covered with a foil of copper. Interestingly the crust looked exactly the same as the core! It must be mineralized iron (haematite I think), as it could be removed with acidic lemon-juice. Please don't blame me for the brutal treatment of this coin, I didn't expect to find something interesting.

I have attached a pictute, that shows core and crust. It definitely is a fourree.

Stefan

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 10:45:02 am »
Yes, very interesting.  And if it's that strongly attracted, I agree with you about the core.  I have  as an example, a follis with holes bored in it that show it doesn't have a diffferent core, that will jump to a strong magnet.  But it comes away quite easily, whereas a modern 2p piece will not. 
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity