Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lycia, Myra. Gordian III AE32  (Read 822 times)

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Lycia, Myra. Gordian III AE32
« on: May 23, 2014, 07:59:41 am »
My first coin from Lycia and thought I would share it with the board.

Obv: AYTKAIMANTGORDIANOCCEB   Bust of Gordian III r., laureate, wearing paludamentum and cuirass.
Rev: MY P A [E?] WN    In tetrastyle temple, simulacrum of Artemis Eleutheras, wearing veil and modius.
AE32, 19.2g.

Regards,
Charlie

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
Re: Lycia, Myra. Gordian III AE32
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 12:12:05 pm »

Congratulations on nabbing a nice Lycian of Gordian III. These are by far my most favorite coins to collect of Gordian III, rare and typically expensive.

c.rhodes

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 04:35:17 pm »
Thank you gordian_guy. There seems to be multiple types for Gordian so I'm guessing the numbers are low. I did learn that Myra is the town that St. Nicholas is from...

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 04:50:57 pm »
Hi,

Fantastic. I love coins with buildings and monuments.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline gordian_guy

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 11:49:02 pm »

I took a gander through von Aulock's catalog of Lycian coins and you coin is from a pair of dies of which he was unaware. The closest is von Aulock Lycia 148, but both of the dies are different. Not uncommon given how old the reference is and how much new stuff shows up on the market.

c.rhodes

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 08:26:24 am »
Thank you for looking that up.  The closest match I had found was BMC 12 where the temple columns have a different spacing and style

All coins are guaranteed for eternity