Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vetriano - HOC SIGNO VICTOR ERIS  (Read 7171 times)

VETRIANO

Vetriano - HOC SIGNO VICTOR ERIS
« on: January 27, 2002, 01:18:23 pm »
A coin of particular interest is the the coin of Vetriano with the reverse inscription HOC SIGNO VICTOR ERIS. A coin where
research have concluded with that it is in fact Constantine the great being pictured the moment he took christianity in his dream before the battle at malvian bridge 313 A.D.
Vetriano issued other coins as well, but this coin, togheter with its historical importance makes it a relatively attractive
piece in the field of ancient nusmatics.  As i am equipped with the standard reference material in ancient roman coins (D. SEAR Roman coins and their values), i am informed that Vetriano issued two other cennentonalis, none of them of the
Hoc Signo Victor Eris type (HSVE).
I suppose any other, more detailed reference (as RIC), would give me the ansver on the different issues of the (HSVE) cennentonalis, but since im not got it, I will greatly aknowledge any information regarding the following issues:

Is there only one type of the Vetriano HSVE coin.?
Did Vetriano issue a HSVE coins in another emperors name (Const)?
If there are different types of the HSVE coins, how to se the difference?

Albert

Re: Vetriano - HOC SIGNO VICTOR ERIS
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2002, 01:23:57 pm »
Hello,

Yes, these are very interesting coins. I have always felt the the image on the reverse represents Constantine I just as you say.

There were other coins of this type issued by Vetranio. There is one of the same design in the name of Constantius II issued in 350 AD. I happen to have a really nice one and would be happy to send you a picture of it.

I do not think there were other designs with the HSVE legend but there is one coin I have been looking for that I belive shows the Milvian Bridge.  It is a little AE-4 that seems to be grouped with the common coins of AD 330-346 commemorating Rome and Constantinople. If you have the Van Meter book it is on page 292 and is #4. I have only seen pictures of this little coin and would love to find one to buy.

Thanks for bringing up such an interesting subject. I would love to hear from some people with more knowledge than me on the subject.

Al

Offline Alex

• Augustus
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2002, 10:42:13 pm »
I dont see too much Christian symbolism into these coins, but rather a "re-calling od Constantine".
Magnentius was seeking recognition from Constantius II, and in order to achieve this, he embrassed the symbol of the father of the enemy. He migth have seek a christian support, however the first use is much more important. Still he didn't bother to add Constantius on his famous christogram AE2. The legend read salus dd nn avg et caes, so it refers only to Magnentius and Decentius.
On the other hand Vetranio was fighting for Constantius and he chosed the same badge, hoping that Constantius will know for sure on whos side he is.  Quite a miracle, Vetranio was not executed.  Knowing the ways of Constantius, it is a miracle.
It is interesting that Vetranio issued coins that do not refer to the number of rulers. An AVGG mention would have enraged his soldiers, followed by murder and fled to Magnentius, while an simple AVG mention would have enraged Constantius, making him think that Vetranio wishes purple only for himself.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2002, 04:44:15 pm »
Here are a few interesting coins of the types discussed from FORVM's catalog

Constantine I, The Great, A.D. 307-337, Constantinople mint
POPULUS ROMANVS

A1153. Bronze AE4, RIC 21, aEF, 1.15g, 13,7mm, 0, Constantinople mint, 330 A.D.; obverse POP ROMANVS, Genius laureate bust left with cornucopia on left shoulder; reverse CONS/ I A over bridge; the bridge is identified as the famous Milvian bridge, $175

Vetranio, 1 March - 25 January, 350 A.D.

5006. Bronze Centenionalis, RIC 287, S 4042, choice EF, bold, sharp, nice chocolate patina, 5.11g, 21.2mm, 0°, Siscia mint,  obverse D N VETRANIO P F AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, A behind, star in front; reverse HOC SIGNO VICTOR ERIS, Vetranio standing left in military dress holding labarum (Chi Rho Christogram standard) and scepter, crowned by Victory standing behind him, A left,  in ex .DSIS. (D=4th officina); scarce, $600

4589. Bronze Centenionalis, RIC 287, S 4042, EF, nice green patina, flaw on cheek, 4.71g, 21.5mm, 0°, Siscia mint,  obverse D N VETRANIO P F AVG, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right, A behind, star in front; reverse HOC SIGNO VICTOR ERIS, Vetranio standing left in military dress holding labarum (Chi Rho Christogram standard) and scepter, crowned by Victory standing behind him, A left,  in ex .DSIS. (D=4th officina); scarce, $260

Constantius II, A.D. 337-361

766. Copper AE3, RIC 286, VF, 4.6g, 17mm, 0°, Siscia mint, 350-351 A.D.; obverse CONSTANTIVS P F AVG, pearl diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right; reverse HOC SIGNO VICTOR ERIS, Constantius standing facing head left, holding labarum (Chi Rho Christogram standard) and spear, Victory right crowning him, A left; In 312 A.D., Constantine dreamed he saw a Christogram in the sky and heard the words IN HOC SIGNO ERIS, meaning in Latin "In this sign you will be the victor."  He ordered the sign of Christ on his legions standards and shields.  He won a great victory and later became the first Christian Roman Emperor.  sold
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity