Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Two more - Who are these Gods/Goddesses?  (Read 1226 times)

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
Two more - Who are these Gods/Goddesses?
« on: March 10, 2007, 09:15:08 am »
Hello again!

Two more... I know the emperors... cannot find a match yet. 

The first is Septimus Severus... the coin is about 17 mm, from Nikopolis, I'm pretty sure.  I would like to attribute it to a number.. but who is this goddess?  Tyche? Of course, the corrosion sopt is right where the object she is holding is located... I had thought maybe scales?  Also note... there is a little wing coming from her neck. She seems to be wearing a pointy helmet!  Any clues, please?

Second coin is Commodus. .. I can see KOM on the right of portrait on obverse. Coin is 18 mm. I can only read a couple of letters here and there on the reverse.  I am interested in the reverse design... Who is she, and what is she doing/what is she standing next to?  An altar? A column?  Has anyone seen a similar reverse?

I didn't think I would like Provincial issues much... but I seem to be hooked on them.

Dave R. - dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

kerux

Re: Two more - Who are these Gods/Goddesses?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 09:31:31 am »
The reverse on your second coin is Apollo standing with lyre on column to the left.

Joe W.

Rocketjc98

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 10:31:43 am »
On the first coin, if you see a small "wing" at the shoulder, it may be the cresent on the shoulder of Mên.  The pointy hat would be a Phrygian cap which would also be consistent with the attributes of Mên.  However I think Mên was primarily used in Pisidia and Lydia for Sept Severus. Not sure about other provinces.  Nicomedia perhaps instead of Nikopolis?

JC

Online Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 02:37:52 pm »
I think the first coin shows Artemis stg. l. The object over her l. shoulder is not the part of a crescent but her quiver. In the l. hand she should hold a brand. The description I have from Wildwinds. Sorry, I'm in short holidays and therefore without my books.

And I think the coin is from Nikopolis too!

Best regards

Rocketjc98

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 02:52:27 pm »
Quite frankly that makes more sense than my guess of Men.

JC

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2007, 06:02:34 pm »
Jochen --

I think you have it! I could not find a picture of my coin, but it seems to be this one:

Septimius Severus AE19 of Nikopolis ad Istrum. AV K L CEP CEVHPOC, laureate head right / NIKOPOLITWN PROC ICTP
Moushmov-907 Artemis standing left with long garment, quiver on shoulder, holding brand.

I don't quite see the reverse legend... unless it's a BIG "O" in NIKOP.... and I'm not sure WHAT she is holding.

JC - Your idea of MEN was a good one!  I did learn a lot by looking at those issues!

Kerux --

Yes, I agree... apollo in ladies' clothes standing next to column, with lyre on it. That is exactly what I thought when I examined the coin. (The ladies' clothing fooled me - but's that is how I saw it described). I have NO idea where it is really from, however! :'(   I will perhaps find it by chance some day!

Many, many thanks for all your help!  If you have any more ideas, please respond!!!!!

Dave R - dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 07:19:23 pm »
Apollo NOT 'in ladies' clothes'.  Women did not wear professional musicians' robes.  Pat L.

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 07:25:42 pm »
 :laugh:

Sorry, Pat!!!

That's the description that was on Coin Archives!!!!! I will now describe him as in musicians' clothing!!!
Any idea where this one might be from?

Dave R - dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2007, 10:23:17 pm »
No,  I have a handful of unidentified, very similar, of my own, only half of them identified; I thought I needed humbling.  Pat L.

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2007, 10:47:14 pm »
Thanks, Pat!

I know what you mean about being humbled!  ;D

I sure wish you'd post them here... would love to see!  Who knows? Maybe I've seen something!!!!

Dave R. - dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2007, 12:04:14 am »
OK, but I'll post them in the Identification place, because all I know about them is their diameter and weight.  I'll choose one that at least looks legible, and I'm sure I'll get humbled in a hurry.  Pat L.
P.S. OK, ready to post in Identifications.  Have a go at mine.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity