Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Large Janiform Head with Galley Prow Reverse  (Read 1218 times)

Offline Robert T2

• Praetorian
  • I like ants & pantis (that sounds soo wrong)!
Large Janiform Head with Galley Prow Reverse
« on: July 10, 2007, 05:15:40 am »
Hi All, I received this large coin in a bunch of uncleaned and have become intrigued as it's detail became clearer... I had expected Roman, but it appears to be "Greek" with what looks like male Janiform heads on the obverse and a quite distinctive looking galley prow on the reverse... certainly the type does not appear in Plant's "Greek Coin Types and their Identification".

The coin is big, 30.5mm and 17.8gm.

There could be writing on the obverse, but too worn/corroded to tell.

On the reverse immediately above the galley's deck is at least 3 clear letters S :A3:R (or K?)

Can anyone help with an attribution on this one?

thanks,

Rob
cheers, robonrome

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Andreas Reich

Offline Robert T2

• Praetorian
Re: Large Janiform Head with Galley Prow Reverse
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 05:44:45 am »
Thanks Areich, that was quick... your response came in before my screen re-freshed ;D

That link was great too, looks like this is in the range 207 to 154BC... after looking through these I fancy I can make out the text "Roma" under the Galley as well.

I know nothing about republican coins, so would be happy to learn more... I couldn't find a match for the text above the galley on the obverse. There seems to be many different inscriptions in this position and I wonder what they mean. If anyone has a precise attribution for this one too I'd be grateful to receive it.

cheers,

Rob

cheers, robonrome

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 12:27:03 pm »
Hi Rob 
You perhaps see SAX
As of C Cluvius Saxula  (169-158 BC)
Cr. 180/1

ser

Offline Robert T2

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2007, 03:23:11 am »
Hi Rob 
You perhaps see SAX
As of C Cluvius Saxula  (169-158 BC)
Cr. 180/1

ser
thanks rugser,

don't think it's an X, rather an R or K... were the names of the serving consul or a moneyer?

cheers

rob
cheers, robonrome

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 12:37:30 pm »
Hi rob   

In catalog SAK doesn't exist.   

With SAR on prow it is struck by  moneyer SEX. ATILIUS SARANUS (SERRANUS)  of "gens" ATILIA  (155 BC) - Cr. 199/2

ser

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 12:54:49 am »
Rugser is correct. It is SAR, Crawford 199/2. The weight is at the low end of the spectrum for this issue; they do go up to around 30 gm.

Images below of three in my collection for comparison.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2007, 12:55:44 am »
The 3rd.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline Robert T2

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2007, 06:10:46 pm »
thanks again Rugser and thanks Gilgamesh, that  is definetly it... the third coin Gilg listed for comparison looks closest. It's fantastic to have such a tight and person attribution, really adds to my appreciation of the coin!

this has opened my eyes up to a whole new sphere of coins because up till now I've been focussed almost entirely on imperial coinage, thinking there wasn't much chance of encountering republican coins, or that if I did there wouldn't be much that could be said about them. thanks again.

rob
cheers, robonrome

All coins are guaranteed for eternity