Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: unique Constantine coin from Constantinople copying a Trajan denarius  (Read 478 times)

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
I recently got this coin and am very pleased to add it to my Constantinople tray. It's currently the only known example of this type and it copies a denarius of Trajan, including the slight drapery. It is the second time though that a Trajan coin was copied in bronze for Constantine. The first time was in A.D. 312 with the Legionary eagle between two vexilla and same reverse legend.

This coin was likely to have been struck in A.D. 330 to commemorate the founding of Constantinopolis. I have to wonder how many people would have even known that this coin was modeled on Trajan some 200 hundred years later; but given the rarity, this coin may not have been intended for general circulation.

Constantine I
circa A.D. 330
20mm 3.1g
CONSTANTI-NVS MAX AVG; Rosette-diademed head right, with slight drapery on left shoulder.
SPQR OPTIMO PRINCIPI; Victory standing front, head to left, holding wreath in her right hand and palm frond in her left.
In ex. CONSA
RIC VII Constantinople

Victor Clark

LRB gallery

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
Re: unique Constantine coin from Constantinople copying a Trajan denarius
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2023, 03:57:17 pm »
Excellent coin, Victor. I am happy that you have it.

This unique Constantius II probably belongs to the same issue. So Constantine II is also expected.

Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2023, 04:31:24 pm »
The horseback type is also copied from Trajan (although also more recently used by Septimius Severus).

What I find amusing is that Constantine's Ticinum solidus (unlisted, ex. NAC 25.591) has a different wreath type than Trajan. Trajan had been awarded the oak leaf based Corona Civica so uses it on his type, but poor Constantine apparently hadn't, so has to make do with a different wreath type.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 06:02:21 pm »
the oak leaf based Corona Civica

Was Corona Civica in use in time of Constantine?
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2023, 09:19:02 pm »
Quote from: Victor C on August 21, 2023, 01:05:32 pm
I have to wonder how many people would have even known that this coin was modeled on Trajan some 200 hundred years later; but given the rarity, this coin may not have been intended for general circulation.

I had no idea that later coins were modelled on Trajan. I'm not surprised on learning this for the first time. I've always liked the gravitas that Trajan's portrait always conveys compared to the other Roman emperors. He would have been the perfect role model for later rulers who wanted to convey that same Roman virtue to their subjects.

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 12:02:34 am »
One has to wonder if Victory is modelled on a cult image or statue?

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2023, 07:55:08 am »
Was Corona Civica in use in time of Constantine?

I don't know if/when any of these awards were formally discontinued. One of the Panegyrics mentions some awards being given to Constantine after his Italian victory, but whatever is being depicted on that Ticinum solidus clearly isn't a Corona Civica. It's not clear what it is exactly though - it appear to include ears of grain, but doesn't have ties so may not be a crown at all.

Offline Lech Stępniewski

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • NOT IN RIC
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2023, 08:05:17 am »
but whatever is being depicted on that Ticinum solidus

I wonder if those lucky guys who received this solidus were even interested what it is or what it suppose to be.
Lech Stępniewski
NOT IN RIC
Poland

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2023, 10:34:30 pm »
Terrific acquisition, Victor!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity