Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine I - PLVR NATAL FEL  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Constantine I - PLVR NATAL FEL
« on: May 29, 2009, 03:32:12 pm »
It's only May yet, but I expect this will be my coin of the year!

This is a rare 1/8 fraction celebrating Constantine's 1st imperial anniversary.

RIC VI Trier 746, 14x13mm 1.30g, ex. Dieter Alten.

The reverse legend is "PLVR NATAL FEL" - literally "many happy birthdays", but to be taken here to refer to Constantine's "Natalis Imperii" - the date of his assumption of imperial power - rather than his actual birth.

This type was issued both for Constantine as caesar, as here, and also for Maximianus, with the latter die linked to the VOT XXX AVGG fraction issued for Maximianus at the same time, alongside VOT X CAESS for Constantine. The occasion, and hence date, was almost certainly Constantine's 1st imperial anniversary on July 25, 307, which as it happened was also almost (or maybe precisely) Maximianus dies imperii (July 21 or 25). Another 1/8 fraction issued at the same time, HAEC VOTA MVLT ANN (unlisted - recorded only as a half-argenteus) underscores that the anniversaries being wished for are VOTA/imperial ones.

It would be a couple of months after this, c. September 307, that Constantine would marry Maximian's daughter Fausta and only then assume his new title of augustus - a joint celebration that is recorded in a panegyric.

The same "PLVR NATAL FEL" legend was also used later at Rome almost certainly on the occasion of Constantine's vicenalia in 326, although RIC misdates the type (RIC 321) to a few years later.

Ben

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Constantine I - PLVR NATAL FEL
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 05:24:05 pm »
I don't think I've noticed that type before. Very nice!

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline ctgcoins

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 07:45:19 pm »
In Carl-Friedrich Zschucke's book, Die Bronze-Teilstück-Prägungen der römischen Münzstätte Trier, your coin is the plate coin 6.14 on page 59.
Nice catch.  Congratulations!
Brent

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 08:21:14 pm »
That's good to know, Brent!
You can see I cleaned the fingerprints off of it!  ;)
Thanks!

Ben

gavignano

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:56:40 pm »
Never saw this type either - very impressive find indeed!

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2009, 06:02:55 am »
Congratulations!

Best, Noah

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 08:01:22 pm »
Thanks everyone, for all the nice comments!

Ben

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 07:41:50 pm »
Never seen before. Nice find!

Best regards

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 11:29:32 pm »
Fantastic Ben.... really nice!!

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 08:48:30 am »
Thanks, Evan!

Here he is reunited with some of his buddies, showing the Trier denomination line-up from 307.

Ben

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 09:31:50 am »
Now that's a beautiful picture! These tiny Trier bronzes were probably jetons (Auswurfmünzen) thrown to the public at great celebrations, birthdays, triumphs etc.). I once read a suggestion that the emperor himself threw these coins from his car, like symbolically shown on this coin from the cover of an old Lanz catalogue. Is there anything known about this assumption? After all, if it were really so, you'd have a coin here which Constantine had in his very hands - and you can't get a better pedigree for a coin, can you?

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 03:05:12 pm »
Thanks Rupert! That's certainly a nice thought that Constantine himself may have handled it!

I know that Carl Zschucke who wrote a book on these Trier fractions also believes them to have been issued for this type of cerermonial throwing to the crowd (he notes a that a similar tradition on festive occasions still exists in the area, but nowadays with Chocolate coins!), and his own extensive collection was formed from local metal detectorist finds, mostly from the banks of the river Mosel. Dieter Alten, from whose collection my Plvr Natal Fel came, was also a Trier native and I assume had similar sources. I've not noticed them turning up elsewhere. One might imagine they'd have been viewed with suspicion if someone had tried to spend them outside of the city where people were familiar with them... one could even draw a parallel with the hideous Porta Nigra tokens that were locally accepted during the anniversay celebrations!

By the way, there are photos of that Lanz cover coin (Constans RIC VII 106) in the NBE image collection - just search for Constans:

http://www.ifaust.de/nbe/

The same type was also issued by Constantine from Nicomedia (RIC 170), below, as well as later by Constantius II from Antioch. Zschucke also considers RIC VII Trier 467-469 as depicting a similar distribution of coins, although the RIC 469 plate coin (elelphant quadriga) only shows what might be considered a throwing gesture, not actual coins.

I wonder if at Constantinople the coins being thrown may (on one occasion at least) have been the Pop Romanus fractions?

Ben

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2009, 10:59:12 am »
Wonderful find and a wonderful story!
Congrats!

Frans

Offline Alex H

• Auxiliary
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2024, 05:16:20 am »
I am desperately looking for this PLVR NATAL type for years. Anybody's help/advise would be much and much appreciated :)

Offline Victor C

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • all my best friends are dead Romans
    • Constantine the Great
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2024, 10:21:36 am »
Here's mine that I picked up a few months ago.

Constantine I
A.D. 307
¼ follis 15mm 1.2g
FL VAL CONSTANTINVS NOB C; Laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
PLVR / NATAL / FEL in three lines within laurel wreath.
RIC VI Trier 746; Zschucke 6.14
Victor Clark

LRB gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity