Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ID for Head wearing a Phrygian Helmet?  (Read 129 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
ID for Head wearing a Phrygian Helmet?
« on: February 18, 2024, 12:06:47 pm »
Ave!

Lead; 31mm/32.7gm

A friend of mine sent me this odd artifact for photography. I asked him what it was and he could only tell me that he purchased it
at a trade show 25 years ago, in a lot of random artifacts. FYI - the base is flat and as cast, not broken.

As seen in the photo, the head appears to be wearing either a pointed cap or helmet with cheek guards. Attis, maybe? Something completely different?

Like my friend, I have no clue. Your thoughts, guys?
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: ID for Head wearing a Phrygian Helmet?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 08:49:25 am »
Mithras is usually depicted wearing a Phrygian Helmet. He was a popular god with the army and Mithraic temples are found all over the Empire, especially in places where the army was stationed. Mithraism was a mystery religion, a bit like modern masonry, it was only open to men who had to go through various trials or rituals to join.

Alex

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 09:01:56 am »
Hard to say without any context. I recently saw a lead Herakles in a Phrygian cap on a votive object from Olbia, identified by the cornucopia he was holding.

Offline Serendipity

• Consul
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 05:16:21 pm »
I'm inclined to agree with Alex about this exquisite and symbolic piece. It's also very worn suggesting it served its purpose and was once owned by a mithraist in the army. This is very much an early Roman artefact. The Phrygian cap reappears in figures related to the first to fourth century religion of Mithraism which is why I would give it an approximate dating of the 1st. BCE-4th. CE. I struggle to convey Mithraism's appeal to men of the Roman army but Alex does a fine job with the apt analogy to modern masonry, such as the shared meals and male bonding which the trials or rituals entailed. In fact, Mithraism may have functioned in part as providing clubs for the unclubbed, since qualification for Roman collegia tended to be restricted to particular families, localities or traditional trades.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2024, 01:20:55 pm »
Ave all!

Mithras Cult, for sure.  Thanks!

+++ +++ +++
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2024, 06:27:04 pm »
Hard to tell Attis and Mithras apart.  Attis should be younger but that is not always clear.

This cap has very low sides which is unusual for either.  But that might just be a regional style.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity