Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius with full name abbreviations in obverse legend  (Read 3103 times)

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Carausius with full name abbreviations in obverse legend
« on: October 04, 2005, 04:44:02 am »
Hi there,
Got this recently on one of my jaunts - Carausius is not really my thing but I thought this was too good to pass up  :) Not listed in RIC tho' it is a combination that might be expected. Nice with the PAX AVGGG denoting Carausius, Diocletian and Maximian but above all noteworthy because of the expanded obverse legend viz -

IMP[erator] C[aesar] M[arcus] AVR[elius] M[auseus] CARAVSIVS P[ius] AVG[ustus] , Radiate, draped and cuirassed bust right
PAX AVGGG, Pax stg. left, S/P//C
3.93g, even came with the findspot (in Lincs)!

Regards,
Adrianus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Carausius with full name abbreviations in obverse legend
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 01:33:19 pm »
Hi,

A very nice find! I only have IMP C M... and IMP C M A....

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 02:35:34 pm »
       Carson, Carausius et Fratres Sui, no. 9, reports a coin like yours, but in obv. legend AV for AVR and P F for P, "Photo in BM, RIC 337".
       Same obv. legend as last, rev. PROVID AVGGG, no. 40, "Oxford, RIC 365".
       Same obv. legend but AVR like yours, still however P F not P only, no. 56, VIRTVS AVGGG, "Oxford, RIC 443".
       These are the only reported coins in the S--P / C issue that give Carausius that second M for Mauseus.
       Maybe you should consider trading it to another Forum participant, whose code name seems to indicate he might be interested in it!
       Sounds like Oxford too might be interested, if they want to corner the market!
Curtis Clay

Offline Adrianus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 03:52:46 pm »
Thanks, Curtis, for the details,
As a matter of interest, I seem to remember that at least one of our fellow participant's extended obverse legend varieties came via little me  ;) Maybe I should ask him if he's interested or maybe my alma mater Oxford would be a more fitting venue? :-\ Mind you, having seen his collection he probably has a better range than them... Especially with my help ;D
All the best,
Adrianus

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 04:37:02 pm »
Hi,

Thanks Curtis, I keep trying to persuade Adrainus on several items....

For those who aren't aware, Adrianus and I have been friends ( and academic and collecting rivals) for over fifteen years. I bought his Carausius collection of about 30 coins in April 2004, including the VIRTVS AVG / CONCORDIA MILITVM coin to complement my own VIRTVS AVG / VIRTVS AVG specimen that was an obverse die duplicate.

Thanks buddy (and please think of me if you ever want to part with this).

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 06:40:37 pm »
It's interesting that this extra long obverse legend that would be typical for an accession issue (cf. Postumus/Postimus and Victorinus!) comes with a rev. that is clearly located in the later period of his reign.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 09:26:11 am »
For those of you who missed it on another thread, here is Adrianus on the left with Mauseus on the right. I am in the centre. It was on the occasion of our annual Christmas get together in York in 2004. Of course, next year York will be celebrating 1700 years since Constantine was promoted to Augustus.

PS Apologies for going slightly off-thread  ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity