Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Excellent Theodosius Barb, with D. Sear comments  (Read 969 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Excellent Theodosius Barb, with D. Sear comments
« on: October 22, 2008, 06:12:33 pm »
Ave!

This particular coin came to me in an asst. lot about 6 months ago. I briefly looked at it, decided it was a typical Theodosius AE2, then set it aside for sale down the road.

A few days ago, I looked it over more closely, then sent the same pix as seen below to David Sear for his thoughts. Read below for his reply:

Dear Kevin,
This is clearly a ‘barbarous’ imitation of the Æ 2 type of Theodosius I from the mint of Constantinople (RIC ix, p. 233, 79b).  The obverse legend should be D N THEODOSIVS P F AVG and the reverse GLORIA ROMANORVM with mint mark probably CON A and with T in left field.  Interesting and quite scarce.
Please feel free to contact me whenever you have a query.
All the best,
David

Cool, huh?

This is an excellent 'barb' and I really like the 'PC' on the obv legend. Was Theodosius I the first "politically correct" Roman emperor?  ;D

Just thought I'd share this one with all.

Best,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline pippo72

• Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Re: Excellent Theodosius Barb, with D. Sear comments
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2008, 02:15:10 pm »
A very nice barb. Theodosian barbs are not common. I like victory cap on this coin.... 8)

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2008, 03:50:23 pm »
Really nice, I like the non-barbaric coins of this type as well, especially because of the bust
and an AE2 is a nice size as well.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

CzarMike

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:29:50 pm »
Very interesting, can i have it? :tongue:

All coins are guaranteed for eternity