Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: byzantine bronze coin - double strike  (Read 293 times)

Offline Cacuci

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
    • www.antica.home.ro
byzantine bronze coin - double strike
« on: March 17, 2010, 06:52:18 pm »
Hello.
Can you help me with this one, cause i'm a little bit confused. Could this not be a byzantine coin? Rather a vestern european medieval coin? Or is it a byzantine double struck one?
I really need your help with this one.
Diameter: 13,3 mm .
Weight: 3,2 g.

Manzikert

Re: byzantine bronze coin - double strike
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:31:06 pm »
Hi

This is a Crusader coin from Antioch:
Metcalfe 3 (bust of St. Peter/4 line legend, issued by Tancred) overstruck with
Metcalfe 4 (bust of ruler holding sword, TANK[P] visible at upper right on reverse/IC XC NI KA round cross, also Tancred) overstruck with
Metcalfe 5 (standing figure of St Peter/DSFT in quarters of a cross, Tancred again).

Tancred ruled 1104-1112 and the sequence of types is pretty certain (from the overstrikes) but there doesn't seem to be an absolute chronology.

Best wishes

Alan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity