Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Panti  (Read 657 times)

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
Panti
« on: April 28, 2007, 08:45:56 pm »
Can't make heads or tails of this little Panti, 13 mm at its widest.
Could it be a lion's head?  The rev is clearly a bow, an arrow beneath and the "A" from PAN but I can't see the  :Greek_Pi: or the N.
If I turn the obv 90 degrees clockwise, I see an Aztec frog!  NO matter how I turn it, I can't see a griffin!
Suggestions?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
Re: Panti
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:22:20 pm »
Rapre --

The obverse picture is a little small for me to see much -- Could it be caps of the Dioscuri issue?  I have one that looks pretty identical to yours; if you would like I have prepared a small PDF file on the Panti issues I can e-mail you.

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
Re: Panti
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 11:47:28 pm »
I don't think it's the caps of the Dioscuri.  There seems to be some pronounced lines that remind me of the mane of a lion or of Pan himself.  There's also a partial green patina that highlights the bow and arrow on the rev that confuses me on the obv, yet I hesitate to strip it off.  It's easier to clean something if you already have a good idea of what it is.
By all means feel free to email me anything that might be of assistance.
Thanks
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity