Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: two great finds  (Read 1842 times)

Offline HELEN S

• Caesar
two great finds
« on: November 05, 2012, 11:16:13 am »

i have had two great finds this week one a medieval seal if anyone can translate any of the very obscure words i will be eternally grateful
 also a celtic toggle a clothes fastener in great condition i hope you enjoy them as i was so pleased to dig them up

Offline Panathas

• Consul
Re: two great finds
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:33:06 pm »
Excellent!  +++ Hope you find even more exciting objects!

Online Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:53:35 pm »
Very nice finds, congrats +++
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline Belisarius

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 05:59:27 am »
Helen - I can't help you I'm afraid, but if that is blu-tack which you have stamped it on I suggest you don't do it again! Try modelling clay or plastercine since the otherwise it will pull of bits of patina or metal if you're not careful.

Looks good by the way!
"...horum omnium fortissimi sunt belgae!"
- Julius Caesar

My gallery:
www.forumancientcoins.com/

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 10:28:37 am »
Hi Helen,

Just a note. I found something similar - the shape of your seal (inverted trumpet) - in Medieval Catalogue, London Museum Catalogues No. 7. London, 1940: page 295, Fig. 90, Numbers 1, 2 and 3. The text reads "The conical handle with pierced loop is far the most common type and is found with increasing elaboration from the 13th century onwards. Of those here illustrated (Fig. 90), however, No. 3 (A11711) is earlier than the more simple form shown in No. 2 (A 377). It therefore seems clear that it is not possible to date matrices with any exactness by the style of their handles. The same is true of the lettering. The sequence ran from Roman capitals through Lombardic capitals to black (block?) letter and back to Roman capitals, but beyond the fact that black (block ?) letter does not start until about 1345 precision is impossible." I just pulled the book off a shelf and don't know if it is online.

I also looked in v. Berchem, Egon. Siegel. Bibliothek fur Kunst und Antiquitatensammler, Band 11. Berlin: Schmidt, 1918. but found nothing, not even the shape of your handle.

Does Burke's Peerage or a comparable publication go back this far?

Russ

Offline Russ

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 07:49:24 pm »
Hi Helen,
     I found some goodies that you may or may not know about:

1.     Feminae: Medieval Women and Gender Index at:http://inpress.lib.uiowa.edu/feminae/WhatIsFeminae.aspx

For medieval seals and women especially, see:
http://inpress.lib.uiowa.edu/feminae/DetailsPage.aspx?Feminae_ID=8328

2.     Medieval seals, articles published by the British Museum, at:
http://www.britishmuseum.org/pdf/1a%20rev%20order.pdf

Fascinating stuff.
Russ

Offline Adrian W

• Caesar
    • Cape Coral Real Estate FL
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 08:36:52 pm »
Helen,
Nice find where these in your back yard ?
Adrian
Highest Rated Zillow agent in the County

Offline RoryduPondius

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 07:39:10 pm »
oh how i wish i could go to europe :-\ :<a href='http://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?vpar=810&pos=0' target='_blank'>Chi-Rho</a>: :<a href='../numiswiki/view.asp?key=cross' target='_blank'>cross</a>:
I LOVE cleaning uncleaned ancients.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity