Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Hostilian Antioch BMC 628 genuine or fals?  (Read 128 times)

Offline Bartlomiej N

• Legionary
Hostilian Antioch BMC 628 genuine or fals?
« on: March 12, 2024, 03:13:52 pm »
I would like to ask Colleagues for their opinion on the originality of the Hostilian bronze from the Antioch Mint - BMC 628.

Hostilian AE29 of Antioch obv. ΓO VAΛ OCTIΛIAN ME KVINTOC KECAΡ, Bare-headed, draped bust right, rev. ANTIOXEΩN MHTΡO KOΛΩN, Tetrastyle temple containing figure of city of Orontes; above temple, ram running right, head turned back.

This is my first coin of this type and the first bronze with Tyche and the personification of Orontes on the reverse. From Antioch, so far I have only had contact with tetras and the small bronze of Antoninus Pius. The coin weighs 16.53 grams with a diameter of 30 mm and a thickness between 2.9 and 3 mm. Generally, the obverse and reverse do not raise any doubts in terms of style and workmanship, but this is the first time I have come across such an edge of an antique coin with quite regular, slightly tilted lines. The disc is nice, round and practically the same thickness over the entire surface, which also raises my doubts. It is completely different than in the case of sesterces or other imperial bronzes. In addition, the edge is slightly inclined, in cross-section it would resemble a rhombus, something like in the attached drawing. It was supposed to be the first interesting purchase of provincial coins, including Hostilian, but unfortunately I may give up on Roman provincial coins.

Offline Bartlomiej N

• Legionary
Re: Hostilian Antioch BMC 628 genuine or fals?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 03:15:59 pm »
Photos of the edge and cross-section of the coin

Offline Bartlomiej N

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 03:17:02 pm »
More photos.

Offline Bartlomiej N

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2024, 03:33:34 am »
The more I look at this coin, the more I like it. Could you check the edges of your coins of this type from the mint in Antioch? If there are such traces on them, it is quite an interesting matter, the question arises how the disks were prepared in Antioch. Sesterces from a similar period - the coins of Alexander Severus and Gordian in the photos have crooked discs of variable thickness with cracks on the edges. Meanwhile, this Hostylian is almost centric and practically equal in thickness, and it has diagonal marks on the edge.

Offline Bartlomiej N

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 03:41:26 am »
I would like to underline that other examples of this type, which I have found at RPC IX, have nice round shape too and similar style.

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/9/1685

Offline BiancasDad

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 12:24:34 pm »
I can't make any meaningful comment on authenticity but unless my eyes deceive me this coin looks like an obverse die match to your coin.

https://www.acsearch.info/search.html?id=6994250

Offline Bartlomiej N

• Legionary
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2024, 03:09:18 pm »
Hello,
thanks for the opinion. You have an eagle eye. It seems to me that it's the same obverse die but a different reverse die. I gonna try to seek an example of coin with the same reverse die. Maybe someone have similiar coins issued in Antioch mint during between the reign of Philippus I and Traian Decius? Are this lines on the edges characteristic for that kind of coins?
Bartek

All coins are guaranteed for eternity