Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: New project  (Read 5220 times)

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Surrendered at Alesia.Bleah...
New project
« on: January 11, 2004, 09:50:36 am »
I've initiated a project concerning VIth century byzantine coins with a photo portopholio with all the types I can gather. The purpose is a comparative analysis within the VIth century and earlier and later issues. If you have any quality pictures or special/uncommon/rare/interesting types please share them with me.Thanx :)
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes...

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Re:New project
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2004, 03:55:19 pm »
Hi Verc.

What I do you tell of this pentanummium?

ser

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2004, 04:02:47 pm »
Interesting type- an Iustinian from an italian mint? I will ad it to my project.

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2004, 04:15:23 pm »
Thank Vercin.

To my seem Mint Rome AD 539-540.....but I am not sure.

ser

corvus

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2004, 08:45:29 am »
Hi,

I have some of odds from period like following:
Scarce aEF pentanummium (AE4) of Justinian (527-565 AD), mint of Antioch,
12mm in diameter. Full images and partial inscriptions.
Ov: Bust right, [DN IVSTINIA]NVS PP AV
Rv:  Tyche of Antioch seated on reverse, retrograde E (=5) on reverse.

Strange because Tyche of Antioch was a pagan deity, and its' appearance on 6th century coins (when Christianity was the absolutely dominant religion) is more than unusual. They are usually in very poor condition. This scarce little bronze is in cood shape!

PS. As mentioned I have couple  of more  interesting coins like:

Justinian tremissis; Justinian silver Siliqua (Chartage); Justin II light gold solidus - if you need some pictures pls. ask!

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2004, 10:12:59 am »
Excellent coin indeed. Of course I want all the photos you can share with me. Thank you!

corvus

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2004, 03:47:48 am »
OK! Here we are and starting from oldest:
Justinian I Silver Siliqua  VF
Attribution: Sear 253, D.O. 280
Date: 527-565 AD  Carthage mint
Ov: D.N.IVSTINIANVS PP. AVG. Justinian Diad., draped and cuirassed bust right
Rv: VOT/MVLT/HTI in three lines within wreath; beneath, CONOS (?)
Size: 12 mm Weight: 1.05 grams Rarity: Rare

It was sold as  struck in Constantinople mint, but I think it is Carthage and according to attribution as above?

corvus

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2004, 03:51:12 am »
Next one is smallest gold coin from same period as two previous:
Justinian I Gold Tremissis aVF/aVF
Attribution: Sear Byz 145
Date: 527-565 AD  Constantinople mint
Ov: D.N.IVSTINIANVS PP. AVG. Justinian Diad., drapped and cuirassed bust right
Rv: VICTORIA AVGVSTORVM; Victory advancing holding wreath in right hand and globus cruciger in left hand, star right, CONOB in ex
Size: 16.83 mm Weight: 1.5 grams Rarity:  scarce

It is quite attractive tremissis with nice detail, bit of flat striking common in this series as I can recognize

corvus

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2004, 03:53:29 am »
This one I have once even nominated as "coin of the day", and it is really unique:
Justin II, 15 November 565 - 5 October 578 A.D.
Gold light weight solidus of 22 siliquae,
DO 138, Berk 66, MIB 8, Tolstoi 17, Ratto 760, S 376, gVF,
weight: 4.02g, 20.0mm, 180º, Theoupolis (Antioch) Syria mint?, 565-578 A.D.
ov:  D N IVSTINVS PP AVG, helmeted and cuirassed bust of Justin II facing, holding globe surmounted by Victory in right hand, shield with horseman device on left shoulder;
rv:  VICTORIA AVGGG QS, Constantinopolis enthroned facing, looking right, resting on spear held in right hand and holding globus on extended left hand, OB * + * in exergue;
ex Frank L. Kovacs, ex Woolslayer collection, very rare,

weakly struck as usual for the type

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2004, 08:44:50 am »
Thank you, the light weight solidus is really a rare coin and I am glad I can add it to my photo collection. What makes you believe it's Chartago mint, the siliqua I mean?

corvus

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2004, 11:16:14 am »
You are welcomed!

Firstly off course silver siliqua from Constantinople is extremely scarce and rare (price would be also much different I paid) and secondly accordingly to Sear difference between Constantinople and Carthage mint can be found on reverse:  VOT./MVLT. and third line in first case will be  MTI and in second case VOT/ MVLT without dots and third line standing HTI
So as much I would like to have rare Constantinople issue (Sear 157) I believe mine is from more common Carthage mint (still quite scarce coin)

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2004, 11:23:54 am »
Exactly, and judging by the rarity any silver coin from the VIth cent. is desirable. Your coin is one of the few cases when Constantinople mint is more rare than others in the empire. It's probably about the long tradition of Northern Africa in the Roman Empire and gold coins are also struck in high numbers. Anyway thanks for the info and should you find other examples worth knowing please let me know. :)

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2004, 08:26:00 pm »
Not rare but it has its high points Justinian I AE Follis S-163 30mm

I bought this coin because of the adorable chubby cheeks. It seems it was good to be the emperor. ::)
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2004, 08:28:00 pm »
Strange flan. Good detail
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2004, 03:46:54 am »
Quite unusual portrait-seems his face is taken from a 45mm earlier follis ;D Thanks for the photo.

corvus

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2004, 06:35:56 am »
damn, almost forgot :)
This is not quite direct Byzantine coin, but struck in the name of Anastasius I (491-518 AD) and quite rare as well!
OSTROGOTHS. Theoderic. 493-526 AD. AR Quarter Siliqua (10mm, 0.71 gm).
Mediolanum (Milan) mint.
Ov: Diademed and draped bust of Anastasius right
Rv: Monogram of Theoderic, cross above, star below, INVIC-TA ROMA around.
MIB 44b; MEC 119. VF, a little rough.

Think Anastasius goes under VI cent :)

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2004, 07:58:02 am »
Very rare and well preserved if I may add. I also took the image of a solidus Theodoric-Anastasius from Forum. Here is the image.
BTW, from what period are those byzantine coins found in Estonia?

corvus

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2004, 08:39:15 am »
I have almost same type Anastasius solidus :)
Gold Solidus of Anastasius (491-518 AD).
aEF. 19078.
Sear 5;  Constantinopol mint
Ov: Anastasius facing, resting a spear on his shoulder, DN ANASTASIVS PP AVG
Rv: Victory standing left, holding a long cross, surmounted by a reversed chi-rho, star in the left field, VICTORIA AVGGG D; CONOB in exergue.
Superb large gold piece, exquisitely cut - an ancient piece of art. Small die break on obverse,

PS: those Estonian coins were from Constantine VII to Basil II (945 to 989 period) including Nicephorus II Phocas and John I

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2004, 05:36:25 pm »
This is the my 1/ 4 siliqua half Byzantine and half and Ostrogothic

D/ DN IVSTINIAN AVG
R/ DN ATHALARICVS REX

ser

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2004, 06:33:07 pm »
        Along with the photofile I have initiated a survey on ebay concerning VI-th century coins. Its aim is to determine the intensity of money circulation within the century (Anastasius-Phocas actually) taking into consideration the number of coins, inflation ( meaning the bronze curency value in gold). Of course regnal period will be taken into consideration, as one may surely observe a large quantity of coins issued by Justinian (38 years reign) compared to Tiberius II (4 years reign).
        Basically I will write down once at ten days(considering 10 days as the longest period for an auction, not to count the same coin twice) all the coins from the VIth century emperors with denomination, regnal year, mint and officina.  Then I will calculate the total number of nummia involved (follis=40, dekanummia=10 etc) which I will devide by the regnal period.  
The result will be a statistical figure for the only purpose to be compared with other emperor's result.
      For example I started on the 15th of January and I had 559 nummia for Justinian which devided by 38(regnal years) was 14.7. For Maurice I had 240 devided by 20, so 12 the result. This means a higher circulation during the reign of Justinian. Of course this is only the beginning and it doesn't really mean anything for now, but it will in 6 months or one year. As I mentioned the final results will be subject to an analisys of inflation. Without it everything is useless. The fact that one emperor struck more coins than the other does not necessarily mean a higher economic level if the value of money was very low. It must be constantly compared to the gold solidus. At first 420 folles were exchanged for a solidus but later the value of the follis decreased so theoretically at some point 100 folles were less valuable than 50 folles, when used for buying merchandise, that's why a lot of calculations must be done to reach a correct conclusion in this matter.
           Any help/suggestions/opinions will be much appreciated.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2004, 11:38:42 pm »
Sounds like a interesting project V, Where are you going to get  inflation data?  Will you do it with hoard data as well? It would be an interesting comparison wih the ebay data.

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2004, 03:56:31 am »
Of course the final data will be compared to hoard data- I can't wait to see the result. :) Fot inflation I will also use the information given by ancient sources of the period. Unfortunatelly we don't know step-by-step how the bronze evolved in relation with gold, that's why I will make the analysis on ebay for each year of reign and then compare it to some big hoards or collections from city excavations like Athens, Sardis etc.

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2004, 07:47:27 am »
V if you like I can assist on the quest for hoard data. I recently got Numastic Notes and Monographs No.67 A Bibliography of Byzantine Coin Hoards. 1935  It does not give all of the nesasary information but it does give a starting point for what hoards that would pertain to your search.  It gives Place of Find , year of burial, Metal contents, A/ AR AE . Number of coins found and the emperors that are included. Most importantly it gives a source for the hoard information that will allow you  to find a more detailed reffrence to get the exact contents of the hoard.

If this will help I can start compiling the list, just give me any additional rules I should follow. Eg. Do you want the information for hoards that contain coins just from the VI th century or is it okay if it has coins from the VIth century and latter coins?

Simon

Offline vercingetorix

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2004, 11:44:38 am »
Thank you Simon, that would be great. I appreciate your help and I need assitance because it is a very complex project and  I invite others interested to get involved because I think it's a very rewarding subject and it can be developed in multiple directions during the research.

Andrei

corvus

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2004, 08:37:37 am »
my resent acquirement, also Anastasius gold but this time:
Anastasius AV Tremessis / Victory VF/VF
Attribution: Sear Byz 8
Date: 491-518 AD
Ov: D N ANASTASIVS P P AVG Diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right
Rv: VICTORIA AVGVSTORVM (Victory for our Ruler), Victory advancing right, head turned, CONOB in exergue  Size: 16.59 mm Weight: 1.5 grams
Description: A very nice little scarce gold tremessis, wavy flan K graffito before face

All coins are guaranteed for eternity