Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Wildwinds: News etc.  (Read 84997 times)

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
Re: Wildwinds: News etc.
« Reply #100 on: August 30, 2023, 03:17:12 pm »
We have to look on the other side of the medal too; you didn’t ask the permission of the engravers of the coins before putting the pictures of their creations on your site, so why should he ask for yours ???
DT

Offline helvetica

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Helvetia Libera Deo Gratia
    • ID Help pages + RIC lists + www.wildwinds.com
« Reply #101 on: August 30, 2023, 04:30:26 pm »
I keep a list of people who ask my permission to use coin images. Not for "Big Sister/Big Brother" reasons, but sometimes it's nice to be able to contact someone and ask how successful their thesis went, or contact them for some other reason. In any case, to be on the safe side before I wrote back to him, I checked my list and this man has never contacted me in the past.
I have seven people in the list (all marked in red and with a "NO"note) who wanted to copy entire sections of wildwinds - one wanted to copy every single provincial coin on wildwinds for his own website (and what would then be the point of upkeeping wildwinds?), another wanted to use every image and txt file of every Jewish coin for a book he was writing.... you'd be surprised, but at least they asked...

I still cannot get over the utter gall of this man. My gawd, it's like stealing a car then asking the owner to pay for the registration and insurance so that the thief can drive it ::).

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2023, 01:36:22 am »
Truly unbelievable the gall of some people. Unbelievably clueless and rude. Most of us here have at least some idea of how much work you put into Wildwinds and all of us know how useful it it.

Cheers,
Virgil

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2023, 07:47:46 am »
We have to look on the other side of the medal too; you didn’t ask the permission of the engravers of the coins before putting the pictures of their creations on your site, so why should he ask for yours ???
DT
I have written permission from the sellers of every single coin - all 78,000 of them - on wildwinds. If you mean the actual engravers from 1,000-2,000 years ago, that is just being ridiculous and is not the same at all.  ::)
So I presume from your comment that you think it is OK for him to have copied all my work ?

Offline Dominic T

• Caesar
« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2023, 08:06:21 am »
ironie:Manière de se moquer (de qqn ou de qqch.) en disant le contraire de ce qu'on veut exprimer. It was just a little JOKE ! Sorry you didn’t find it funny. And by the way, Din x just wanted to help
DT

Offline helvetica

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Apologies....
« Reply #105 on: October 26, 2023, 08:03:41 pm »
My apologies to everyone who, since early September, have submitted coins to be added to wildwinds. It has been a ridiculous time with one thing and another, house and roof installations, inspections, visitors galore, now the installation of this new PC with the horrible Windows 10 (the setup of colours for the screen etc used to be sooooo simple and now you get a choice of two - dark or light, whichever I select I still have the apparently unchangeable glaring white background), etc etc. Anyway, I haven't had a chance to catch up on the uploads for 6-7 weeks. I will try to get them all online by the end of October.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity