Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Byzantine coin - identification and your opinions on is it fake or not  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Mark C5

• Legionary
Hello everyone, I'm new on this forum :)

I bought this coin at an old-staff market in Georgia (the country) and I wonder if that isnt a fake ? What you think about this?
I think that it is a bronze follis of  John I, 969 - 976 AD, can you confirm this? and give some information on what type of follis this is?

Best regards!

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Mark C5

• Legionary
Re: Byzantine coin - identification and your opinions on is it fake or not
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 04:30:07 am »
Thanks for the answer and links :)
Weight: 15 g / 0,55 oz
Diameter: 34 mm / 1.34 inches
Thickness: around 1,5 mm / 0,06 inches (from one side it is thicker by around 0,5 mm)

Offline Mark C5

• Legionary
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2018, 03:07:18 pm »
After reading the links I think this is follis by Basil II (because of its size and weight) and the issue is No. 16. Can anyone confirm that? And what about its genuity? I will be greatful for answers from more experienced collectors :)

Offline wileyc

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 10:55:04 pm »
Yes Class A, and see no reason to suspect it is not Genuine.

CW

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 08:55:32 am »
Class A yes, and I would also add Class A Folles' target='_blank'>Class A2

All coins are guaranteed for eternity