Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Septimius Severus, Countdown to Death, Yasmine Zahran  (Read 1614 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Septimius Severus, Countdown to Death, Yasmine Zahran
« on: March 02, 2007, 05:33:13 pm »
I have recently finished Septimius Severus, Countdown to Death by Yasmine Zahran, ISBN 1-900988-19-4 and thought I would try and write up a quick review to see how I get on.

The book is structured as an autobiography, written in the first person, dictated by Septimius Severus during the last seven nights of his life. It is 184 pages long and comes as a hardback.

Provided you can cope with the book being written in the first person, which is something I really struggled with in this case for some reason, then it seems to cover all the major documented events of the life of Severus. The book does not cover these events in a chronological order and there is quite a bit of conjecture with what I am sure are considered to be non-important details to pad out events described in references as if they were memories and occasionally wander into pure conjecture. The books uses Dio Cassius, Herodian and HA as the primary sources and provides references throughout for the events that are quoted.

In summary, if you are looking for a book that covers the life of Septmius Severus but takes a novel approach to the subject matter then this might be the book for you. If you are simply looking for for a detailed coverage of his life then there are probably other titles that might suit you better.

Regards,
Martin

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
Re: Septimius Severus, Countdown to Death, Yasmine Zahran
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2007, 06:17:13 pm »
Thanks for the review, despite first person, I ordered a copy, found one for $4.50  :)
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Septimius Severus, Countdown to Death, Yasmine Zahran
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2007, 06:49:14 pm »
Hi,

On my Librarything site I posted a review of this book last year using the translators name rather than the authors - should have posted a link at the time, but again my thoughts were pretty similar to Martin's re the first person and some of the "dream sequences", however, if you read the Historia Augustae then you get used to picking out fact from fantasy.

REVIEW

Regards,

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity