Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Blank flan or something else?  (Read 803 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Blank flan or something else?
« on: May 13, 2008, 08:39:58 am »
I just picked up this as a curiosity, and wonder if anyone may recognise what it is.

It was sold together with a bunch of early tetrarchic nummi (don't know if it was found with them) and described as a blank flan.

It is the right size/weight/thickness for an early nummus at 26mm 8.15g, but the case against is that it's too round, has that odd raised "lip" around the edge on both sides, and the edge is very smooth (part of the same process as created the lip?) without the texture that most nummi seem to have.

Maybe it's a flan but something much more recent than roman, or maybe something else altogether? The lip is quite distinctive - maybe it rings a bell with someone?

Ben

Offline Postumus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Iterum rudit leo.
Re: Blank flan or something else?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 09:18:49 am »
I think that was not a coin ...
Caius Marcus Latinus Cassianius Postumus

E Pinniger

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 01:21:04 pm »
I've seen several earlier Roman bronze coins which have had the edge hammered up to create a rim/lip rather like this, possibly to use as a weight or a gaming piece - maybe this has a similar origin?

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:17:39 pm »
Interesting.... Do you remember where you've seen the pictures of these?

That's the way I'm assuming the lip/rim on this was created too - first hammering the edge to create a bulge, then flattening it from either side. It would seem too labor-intensive for normal flan preparation, even if one could imagine some benefit.

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity