Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help w/ Greek coin  (Read 1259 times)

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
Help w/ Greek coin
« on: September 21, 2005, 03:51:42 pm »
This one looks like it should be easy to find...but I can't seem to locate it. Anyone know the Moush. # or which emperor I should look under? Caligula? Commodus?
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re: Help w/ Greek coin
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 05:49:01 pm »
I think it's Serdica for Caracalla.
Varbanov III #121
Demeter on reverse.

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:09:36 pm »
Yes, the small coins, when also not much later than c. 200, often say  :GreeK_Sigma: E P  :Greek_Delta:  :Greek_Omega: N.
Pat Lawrence

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 11:19:28 pm »
Thanks much on the info. So the first letter on the reverse is not a C but an S ? The third letter is a P w/ the front missisng. Hmm... well at least I got the last three letters correct. So what would be the legend on the obverse. I don't see any connection to Caracalla. I'm REALLY trying to learn this aspect of ancient coins ;D, but I have to admit it is quite confusing at times!
May our troops return home safely.........only through their bravery, dedication and diligence are we able to freely post on this site.

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2005, 01:26:26 am »
Obverse is A Y K M ANTW.
Reserve is CEPDWN
Pictures from Varbanov later.

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2005, 01:27:01 am »
The  :GreeK_Sigma: in Imperial times is usually C; it is called the lunate sigma, because it's shaped like a new moon (BTW, it still lives in Slavic alphabets, as in USSR being CCCP).
In front of the little boy's head (and this is Caracalla as Caesar, not laureate, between 196 and 198) it says A N T  :Greek_Omega: for Antôninos, the name his father gave him to emphasize the claim to continuity with the Antonines.
Pat L.
P.S. I'm not sure, after all, that one can't see the ribbons of a laurel wreath behind his neck.  You can see better.
P.P.S.  Yes, as Luigi's example shows, Caracalla as Augustus--and perhaps even with a bit of beard.

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2005, 01:48:52 am »
A similar obverse from coinarchives.

Luigi

Offline newone

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2005, 02:03:23 am »
Amazing stuff Pat & Luigi.  Many thanks ....

All coins are guaranteed for eternity