Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: RPC Online 'plate' coin - a small AE from New Testament Tyre  (Read 83 times)

Offline CPK

• Praetorian
RPC Online 'plate' coin - a small AE from New Testament Tyre
« on: March 13, 2024, 10:47:48 pm »
Here's an interesting coin I got recently. It's a small bronze 'pseudo-autonomous' issue from the Phoenician city of Tyre:

In gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=186277

PHOENICIA, TYRE
Time of Nero
AE (13.75mm, 3.06g, 12h)
Struck AD 54/5
Obverse: Veiled head of Tyche with palm right
Reverse: ΤΥ ΙΕΡΑ ΑΣΥ, 𐤋𐤑𐤓, ΡΠ, palm tree
References: RPC Online, Vol. I, No. 4739 (this coin illustrated)
A very rare type with good surfaces and detail.

People have been calling the city of Tyre home for more than 4,700 years. The city is located along the eastern Mediterranean coast and rose to great prominence as an independent maritime trading center in the second millennium B.C.

Tyre is frequently mentioned in the Bible, in both the Old and New Testaments. Its first mention, in Joshua 19:29, refers to it as "the strong city of Tyre". 2 Samuel 5:11 records that Hiram I, king of Tyre, sent an embassage to King David in Jerusalem and established a mutually beneficial trade agreement with the Israelites. According to the account, Hiram and David became fast friends, and when Solomon became king after David's death, Hiram honored Solomon as well and sent him supplies, raw material, and skilled workmen for the building of the Temple in Jerusalem. (1 Kings 5:1-12) In fact, the master bronzeworker on the Temple project was a Tyrian craftsman, sent by Hiram, who grew up in the trade under his father and was "highly skilled and experienced in all kinds of bronze work."(7:13 & 14)

Later in the biblical account, we are told that the infamous Jezebel, wife of King Ahab, was the daughter of Ithobaal I, who was the king of Tyre and the founder of a new dynasty. (1 Kings 16:31)

As a maritime power, Tyre founded numerous colonies throughout the region, including Carthage and Lepcis Magna.

Tyre was famous throughout this period for its strength as a defensible city, surrounded by ocean and high walls, but these defenses weren't enough to stop Alexander the Great from conquering the city in an epic siege in 332 B.C. The siege lasted for 7 months, during which Alexander actually built a causeway to the island citadel, nearly half a mile long and up to 900 feet wide, using the rubble from the mainland portion of the town. It was a monumental achievement, and the causeway is still there - now a permanent feature of the coastline.

In the Roman period, Tyre remained an important city, famous for its dyes which were produced by certain marine snails. Jesus visited the region briefly (Matthew 15:21, cf. Mark 7:24) and it seems a number of his followers were from Tyre (Mark 3:8) Later, the apostles Luke and Paul landed at Tyre and stayed for a week with the Tyrian Christians during Paul's third missionary journey (Acts 21:3 & 4.) This would likely have been around the time this coin was struck.

Tyre continued to flourish into the Byzantine period up until a series of devastating earthquakes in the 6th century A.D., which crippled but did not destroy the city. Like the palm tree that symbolized the ancient city, Tyre was able to rebound and recover and, owing to its strong influence on the Silk Road trade, thrived under the later Muslim and Crusader empires.

This coin is pretty rare, at least as far as I was able to ascertain. RPC Online lists only 4 specimens (including this one) - and I found one here in the Forum Gallery (https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=127922), making a total of 5 that I was able to find.

Interestingly, there were no pictures of the other 3 RPC coins, so I submitted my specimen photo, and now it is the (only) illustrated example of this type.

Thanks for looking!

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: RPC Online 'plate' coin - a small AE from New Testament Tyre
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2024, 03:53:28 am »
Congratulation 👍🤗

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: RPC Online 'plate' coin - a small AE from New Testament Tyre