Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nice Julian, no bull  (Read 1053 times)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Nice Julian, no bull
« on: January 20, 2006, 03:18:21 pm »
Sometimes you see something and just have to have it, and blow the expense!

Obv: Pearl-diademed, draped and cuirassed bust right. "D. N. FL. CL. IVLIANVS P.F. AVG."
Rev: Bull standing right, above two stars. "SECVRITAS REIPVB." In exergue "(dot)HERACL(dot)A"

RIC VIII 103
8.9 gms
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
Re: Nice Julian, no bull
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 04:30:13 pm »
 :o It looks brand-new! What a stunner!! Must have cost you a bundle ;)

Congrats on this!

Frans

canadian_boy

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2006, 04:35:00 pm »
Very nice example of that coin.  This coin type is almost a 'must have' for all collectors of Roman ancients because of the historical value. Van Meter calls it the last 'pagan' coin issue.  Considering the fact that Julian was the last pagan emperor, it likely is.  I have one quite similar in terms of grade but with a nice emerald green patina.
Yours is very nice also.  Thanks for showing us.

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2006, 06:17:30 pm »
Having had it in hand, the coin blew me away. A dark black semi-gloss patina too!

Evan

AncientCoins

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2006, 07:14:51 pm »
i am dying for one of this coin type, but i just dont have the money for it.  nice one!! :D

andrew

All coins are guaranteed for eternity