Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Vespasian Lugdunum Sestertius OTD  (Read 100 times)

Offline ancientdave

• Caesar
Vespasian Lugdunum Sestertius OTD
« on: December 16, 2023, 05:19:53 pm »
Hello again my friends, today I have added a coin that I felt warranted COTD status for it's magnificent portrait. To me, this coin displays some of the finest style of the entire early Imperial period. A stern, fantastically executed portrait of Vespasian, he seems to be alive on this coin. A really neat contrast to some of "the friendly neighborhood emperor" portraits of Vespasian coming out of the Rome mint in the very same year of 71 AD, one of which I have also posted up today. But this portrait, to me, is really something special. It is so very sculptural, very much recalling the finest in style for a bust in the round. I hope you enjoy seeing it, and as always thank you for looking and commenting. Happiest of Holidays to my friends across the globe of any or no faith. We are all one big family. May the blessings flow to you and yours.

Vespasian Lugdunum Sestertius Roma Standing

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=185460

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Vespasian Lugdunum Sestertius OTD
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 03:11:22 pm »
Ancientdave,

Your description of the portrait is spot on. Magnificent. Congratulations, and Happy Holidays to you as well.

Tracy

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 08:02:37 pm »
It's an outstanding portrait.  Congrats

Offline kc

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 01:46:44 pm »
Nice piece, strong portrait and a reverse in fine style.

Regards
kc

All coins are guaranteed for eternity