Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 1 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: A Mark Antony Added  (Read 180 times)

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
A Mark Antony Added
« on: January 20, 2024, 08:15:59 pm »
I thought I might share a Mark Antony that I just added. It is part of his legionary series, but for the cohortes speculatorum. The cohortes speculatorum served as spies, scouts, and messengers, along with providing personal security for Mark Antony. I've been trying for one of these for several years, mostly because this group was analogous to my previous professional life. It is nice to see an ancient devoted to the world's second oldest profession.

Coin: Mark Antony. Autumn 32-spring 31 BC. AR Denarius (17mm, 3.55 g, 4h). Legionary type. Patrae(?) mint. Praetorian galley right; ANT AVG above, III VIR • R • P • C below / Three signa decorated with wreaths and rostra; CHORTIS • SPECVLATORVM above. Crawford 544/12; CRI 386; Sydenham 1214; RSC 6; BMCRR East 185; Kestner 3841; RBW 1837. Ex Tom McKenna FPL 1-10 (October 1981), no. 30. CNG Triton XXVII (9 January 2024), Lot 644.

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=40464

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
Re: A Mark Antony Added
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2024, 11:52:30 pm »
My favorite named legion.  Great coin!

Offline Ken W2

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2024, 12:32:24 am »

Hey Lawrence:  I wondered who picked that one up.  Very nice example.  Congrats!

Online quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2024, 03:09:04 am »
Great find 🤗👍

Joe/Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2024, 03:49:03 am »
A very interesting coin type!
Is it known why the first O in COHORTIS seems always to be omitted?

Offline lawrence c

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2024, 06:10:50 am »
Good question to which I wish I had some clue. It's similar to the Brutus "LEIBERTAS" denarius in that the spellings are different than they are later. My suspicion is that the Romans were still sort of working out spellings and the like. I believe it was Suetonius who noted that Claudius introduced some new characters for use in the Latin alphabet and that were then adopted. Latin of the era seemed to be in a state of some flux.

As an edit, I should note another possibility. In some much later imperial coins that were struck in areas of Greece, some of the legends were garbled because the Greek speakers who were cutting the dies simply did not understand Latin sufficiently well. I don't know if that would be the case with the Antony or Brutus coins; I would still tend toward the first possibility.

Best,
Larry

Offline antoninus1

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 05:43:30 am »
I think that the unusual spellings of CHORTIS and LEIBERTAS have different reasons.
I recall having read that sometimes words were written in old fashioned traditional ways to give them more dignity, e.g. LEIBERTAS instead of LIBERTAS (I think also EID(IBVS) MAR(TIS) instead of IDIBVS). It shows also that the writer/issuer is venerating and perpetuating the old roman traditions.
Another example is a sestertius of Antoninus Pius depicting Juno brandishing a spear (RIC 608). There she is called IVNO(NI) SISPITA(E) which is an archaistic epithet for IVNO SOSPITA, Juno the saviour.

CHORTIS I still can´t explain to myself. Maybe really only a spelling error?

Offline Tyler K

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 02:43:22 pm »
Oxford Latin dictionary appears to include both Cohortis and Chortis with the same definition so they would appear to both be valid spellings. It is not clear if the Chortis spelling was by then archaic, just an abbreviation, or simply a contemporary alternative spelling.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity